How do you know that its truly time to let go of someone you love?
Dating / 4:10 AM - Saturday March 07, 2009

I have been trying so hard for so long to make my relationship work, he has been cold, distant, on and off, non affectionate (most of the time) and often just ignores me. But other times, we have really connected and I feel like deep down, we do love each other. And a part of me has always had the feeling that we are supposed to end up together and we are meant to be together.

I want us to work and have tried almost everything. But he just doesn't seem to care one way or another.

He has left me before (more than once) and I have been heartbroken, only to walk back in my life sooner or later as if nothing has happened. Because I love him so much, I consider that a fresh start.

But I just don't think I really matter to him. He has once again said its over. He is my only close friend and that makes it even harder.

A part of me can see that this isn't the way love is supposed to be. But I have been so emotionally invested in making things work for so long...

Should I let him go from my heart? And how should I do this? How do you know its time to finally let him go? And why is it so hard to do?

Has anyone else gone through something like this? How did you move on? Time just seems to make it worse (the longer I don't see him, the more I miss him).

- Asked by sunset77, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

I think you should let him go. It's the only way. Because all your are doing is living in denial that things may change and be right between you two. Letting go of someone you love isn't an easy thing. But if you truly care about him and want to be happy for yourself. You need to realize that you cannot change him and the only one you can improve overall is yourself. You just tell yourself that you are moving on and do it. It may not seem easy at first. However, as each day goes by, the battle becomes less of a battle.

- Response by anotherheartbreakinthemakes, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, New Orleans, Who Cares?

Yes my lady, it may be time to let him go this time and it will break your heart but only once instead of him always being the one who walks away and breaking yours over and over again , yu dont need this and if he truly loves and cares for you he wouldnt be doing this to you in the first place, Never be taken for granted or be second to no-one ever??Love will find you again so be patient if you let him go ??remember that its his loss not yours!!!!!

- Response by ptawillis, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, Medical / Dental

Honey, I really don't think any of us really knows HOW to do this but just when it becomes necessary. You can't hold up a relationship all on your own with the other party is ready to move on, no matter how much it hurts. Time will heal your broken heart, I promise you.

I made this decision yesterday myself so please know that you're not alone. Just give yourself time to heal. Missing someone is natural, but allowing yourself to continually be treated poorly or feel unloved is far more difficult than moving on.

You are trying too hard to make this work and he doesn't have to do anything. Unless you want to live like this the rest of your life, it's more than time to go. It isn't easy and it will take some time to get over all you have put into this relationshiip, but you will be much happier with somene who rreally cares about you, because he sure doesn't.

From a guys point of view. If he acts like he doesn't care and always seems to leave you hanging, he causing you so much stress on when WILL he split again, making you wonder WTF you did and it's probably nothing you did, just him and his attitude. You need to cut your losses with this jerk and make yourself available elsewhere. He doesn't care because he knows you'll always be there and he can do anything and you'll take him back. Do you see yourself continuing to do this for another year?...5 years...in Keep a positive attitude and start writing down what you're gonna tell him when you've had enough of his "I don't care crap towards you". Put this guy in his place and slam the door. I promise you, you'll be much better off.

- Response by rpm29650, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Managerial