Whats Considered A Fast Typer? How many wpm?
Career / 9:22 PM - Wednesday March 04, 2009

How many wpm average? Considered fast? Considered slow? Come on secretaries and data entry operators help me out please?

Thanks for the serious answers. I am so proud of my wife. She recently left an attorney she has worked for, for 8 years. Shes been a paralegal for 17 years. She took some typing test while applying for a job at a big firm downtown and typed 101 WPM straight copy typing of legal documents with out a mistake, no spell check. They wouldnt hire you unless you could type faster than 75 wpm. She got the job, a call the next morning that not only were they hiring her but that they were going to pay her $1000 more a year than she asked for. I knew from watching her type here at home that she was fast but I didnt realize just how fast she does it. Thanks again, I'm just really proud of her.

- Asked by shanegalang, A Rebel, Male, 46-55, New Orleans, Transportation

Over 60 or 65 wpm is considered fast.
80 or more (accurately) is exceptional

- Response by chessplayer, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Administrative

Congrats to her! And God Bless you for being so supportive and proud of her!! YAYYYYYYYYY!!

- Response by uasked, A Career Woman, Female, 56-65, Veterinary

Anything over 80 is pretty fast to me.

Someone is average is going to type around 40 wpm..
pretty fast is like 60.. more than 60 is Great.

I type 64.7..when I grow up I want to be able to tyep 66 ..

There's still hope, I hope!

- Response by lovesgoldens, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

I don't know...

...but I have 2 kids that type like a machine gun. Its so fast...and they seem to recognize any typo's as they go, as they can backspace and fix them before the type as a chance to set.

I truly don't know how they do that. :)

NEVER let the boss know how good you are!
There used to be an underground paper making the rounds in SF, called "Processed Word", and it was mainly by/for the clerical temp crowd.
One time, it described an promotional "contest" where temps could show off how fast they were, using somebody or other's machines.
That's SO wrong, because it sets an impossible standard for too many who don't *quite* measure up in their employer's eyes. Plus, what's the bonus to being that good, anyway? They give you more work.

30 is average on my work but its better if they are going to consider 40-50wpm as ave fast will be 70-80wpm. <wink!>

- Response by imjealous, A Hippie Chick, Female, 26-28, Sacramento, Financial / Banking