Can adults get growing pains????
Diet & Health / 5:10 PM - Wednesday March 04, 2009

Can adults get growing pains????

I get really painfull leg cramps at night. they are so bad that they wake me up. Its like my leg is locked and i can not move it until i stand up and start walking around my bedroom. its like a shooting pain in my calf. I only get them every couple of weeks. I was told it might be growing pains. What do you think is it growing pains or could it be a nutrient defiency or somthing else

- Asked by dancindiva9, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, Winnipeg, Teaching

The right to vote doesn't mean you have stopped growing. Expect some of this into your mid twenties. especially if you like athletics or work out.

Meanwhile use Ibuprofen and massage the painful bits in a warm bath.

I read the answers you have received and it sounds like you might be low in potassium, so as advised, see that you eat a banana everyday. If not, orange juice. Of course, orange juice is higher in sugar (which shouldn't concern you at your age), but bananas have more nutrients in it as well.

Also, another trick for these cramps (and this is going to sound crazy, but it works), is to put a bar of soap under your bottom sheet. Don't ask me how or why it works, but the advice was given to me years ago and have hardly any problems since that time. Any kind of bar soap that you have in the house.

So, cover all bases...eat a banana a day and stick a bar of soap under your bottom sheet...and as the other person said, keep a silver spoon handy as well! (I'm going to try and remember that one as well!).

Growing pains are in the bones and joints. Cramps are in the muscles. Low potassium and dehydration can cause cramps. Restless leg syndrome can also cause cramps.
I would try potassium and water, and if that does not work see a doctor. Leg pain can also be a sign of more dangerous things, blood clots, and other things.

- Response by wolverinesegg, A Career Man, Male, 46-55, Science / Engineering

I get those when I am Potassium deficient. Eat some bananas. I try to have one every day when I get the cramps.

- Response by uberguber, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Science / Engineering

It sounds like you could have low potassium levels.

Try eating a banana every day and see if it stops.

Bannansbannanabanansban ans

- Response by brezzyblue, A Life of the Party, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

I get aches and pains all the time
and I'm an old man

- Response by vank356, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65, Technical

I tend to get leg cramps as well. As pointed out they are caused my muscles so overworking them can lead to cramps but sometimes they will just hurt of their own accord.
The best preventive measure, as mentioned, is increased potassium. Bananas are an excellent source but potatoes are as well.
When it happens I recommend stretching it out. It may be a little sore for a day or so afterward but it eliminates the sharp pain almost immediately. It is easiest if you can get someone to help you stretch it because, at least for me, is so sharp I can't move and my mind has kind of stopped processing. If its in your lower leg then point your toe to the ceiling so it is perpendicular to the rest of your leg. If its in your quad touch your heel to your butt.
In the days following if the muscle is sore use ibuprofen and heat for pain management.
Good Luck.

- Response by mandabear1610, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, Halifax, Student

I get a pain in the wallet every time one of my kids grows, is that what you mean?

- Response by A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 36-45, Self-Employed