Is it wrong to date my aunt's husband's niece?
Dating / 9:16 PM - Wednesday February 25, 2009

Hello, I have a little bit of a dilemma. My Aunt (my mums sister) got re-married last year. Now her new husband has a niece my age. We both met at a family christening and hit it off really well. Now we have hung out a few times recently and we really enjoy spending time together.

We both confessed that we had crushes on each other but she cant get past that her uncle is married to my aunt and that we are technically step cousins or something, so she just wants to stay friends and not cross that "border" because it freaks her out. I don't think there is anything wrong with it because we are not blood-related. I even tried to explain to her, "if we were married, would it be wrong for my aunt and her uncle to get married?"

Please, If any one can help me with this situation, either the ethics or laws, I would really appreciate it. I really like this girl but I want to know the facts and inform her of them too. We are both in our twenties by the way.

- Asked by parnell47, A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35, Other Profession

Why would it be wrong? You're not blood relatives. And you're strangers to each other brought together because two non-related people married each other.

Hogwash on the "family" titles when two people marry and bring in their families from other people and there is NO blood relation. If she hangs on to these "titles" it means she doesn't have a crush on you and is extremely IMMATURE to not understand that you two are NOT really cousins. In other words, she needs to seriously "grow up". And the proper "family tree" title would be you two are step-cousins by marriage. Now, are you really going to do a family tree that dumps blood relatives and put the married non-blood people in the place of the blood relatives? C'mon!

Also, there are NO laws that prohibit, nor ethical conditions here that would prevent you two from developing a relationship, marrying and having children. She is way over reacting for a hidden reason. That is, unless she is that stoopid, then you'd be better off. Sorry.

Hell, some marriages have gone bad because the stepson and his dad's new wife hooked up. Only law broken here was she committed adultery. There was no incest since she is not the stepson's mother.

This is a bad plan Stan. When things go wrong holidays will suck and bad blood could develop.

I vote no.

I've sorta been in a similar situation. I dated my cousins new wife's cousin. (If that makes sense) At first, I wasn't sure if it was ok or not but as long as there is no blood relation you're good =) Just explain that to her and remind her that Chemistry with someone is rare... Live your life =)

- Response by A Life of the Party, Female, 22-25, Student

Wish I had a great way to make it clear to her that there should be no issue here for you, but best I can say is I agree with you completely this is not a problem and should be a non-issue

- Response by twotwenty, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55

"if we were married, would it be wrong for my aunt and her uncle to get married?"

You've got the point exactly!! Sounds to me like you two have already hit it off :) Good luck to you!!

Be careful not to get hurt though.. the fact that she said she wanted to continue as just friends might mean shes using the situation as an excuse to not go further with you...

- Response by kmbrlybeth, A Creative, Female, 26-28, Retail

I've heard of people doing this a lot. I've known two brothers to date and marry two sisters. Just because someone marries into the family, doesn't entirely make it weird. I would just worry about how the rest of the family would take it. It's typically considered taboo to date someone who is blood related to you. If you would have met her first, and started dating her.. and by chance your aunt and her uncle met and fell in love and got married (before you two), do you think they would hold back because of you two dating? And would that mean that you two would need to break up because they married before you - in turn making you step-cousins??

- Response by lyssaanne, A Trendsetter, Female, 26-28, Dallas, Administrative

FOR ME IT SOUND TOO MUCH LIKE IN FAMILY; WHY DON'T YOU ASK YOUR PASTOR OR SOMEONE WHO KNOW THE BIBLE .

- Response by sexygrandma, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Retired

As far as I know, this isn't an issue, legally.

Laws against marrying relatives were put in place to avoid blood relatives from having sex because their children are more likely to have genetic problems, since the two parents would share genes.

But in your case, she's only related by marriage...so there isn't an issue. You and she don't share any DNA.

So if you can get her to see past the "ewww" factor, go for it.

Yes its wrong to date her, If your even slightly related to someone thats nasty. sorry.

- Response by A Life of the Party, Female, 22-25, Toronto, Student