What happens if i don't get a period for 3 years?
Diet & Health / 9:43 PM - Tuesday February 17, 2009

what happens if i don't get a period for 3 years?

After giving birth to my son, my period gotten really irregular meaning i haven't got a period for 3 and a half year now, went to the doctor but they only give me some pills to take to get a period.. somehow i hate taking the pills so i didn't even bother getting the pills at the pharmacy.. so its been 3 years now and i just want to know what could happen or what is wrong with me? or how can i get a regular period without taking pills? please help.

- Asked by A Creative, Female, 26-28, Los Angeles

Hello;
When a woman becomes pregnant her body goes through a progressive hormonal change to the point of delivery. At the time of birth the changes are much more rapid as the body attempts to go back to it's original non-pregnant state.

If you were having normal menstrual cycles prior to concieving and giving birth and you have not had a cycle for more than three years I would suggest that you not only take the pills (they are most likely Provera). They are a type of hormone that will encourage your body to begin menstruating again.

I would also follow up with my doctor until I was once again regular. It appears that you are one of the women whose body did not return to normal and you are experiencing a hormone imbalance that should be monitored by your doctor.

- Response by 1helpfulhannah, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, St.Louis

when I was around 22 the doctor took me off the pill because of my light peropds,he said that it could result of me being sterile if my period stopped. You my dear need to get to a doctor right away,this is serious

- Response by flor71, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Seattle, Who Cares?

Not having a period is not Ultra Strange or even rare. The only thing I would tell you to be concerned about is that you do not have an obvious indication of when you are ovulating. This can mean unexpected pregnancies. So, be sure that you do not carry a false sense of security and think that you cannot get pregnant. Other than that, I would not worry about it unless you experience other UNCOMFORTABLE side affects, like water retention, weight gain, etc.

After giving birth to your son did you get an infection? Were they giving you cyclic estrogen and progesterone to build up your endometrium?

Secondary amenorrhea not due to pregnancy is a uterine cause (like an infection) or hormones not being produced from your pituitary/thalamus (from my limited textbook/class only knowledge, I am NOT A DOCTOR)

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 29-35, San Francisco, Medical / Dental

YOu should go see your doctor again and have them explain to you what is going on - you may have a fibroid, or your weight is too low so you are not having your period - you still could be ovulating though - which means you could be pregant. Please go back to your doctor, or a new doctor and ask them to explain everything clearly to you. Keep asking until they clarify what is going on; don't be afraid to push them to give you an answer - you deserve a complete answer, not just a prescription.Good luck - and don't delay!

- Response by ruffian, A Sportif, Female, 36-45