What do you wear when you're going to a friend's house just to hang out?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 8:55 AM - Sunday February 15, 2009

My bf said when we go out with friends, I should act as if its a date...dress nice, etc. I say there comes a point in every relationship where the other person (be it an s/o or just a friend) should accept you for who you are, and you should be able to be comfortable around them.

What started this convo is I got a t-shirt with a picture of Jim Morrison on it as a gift, and wanted to wear that to a friends house (we were just gonna order in and watch a movie). My bf made a big fuss about it, saying I should dress up more.

I ended up changing my clothes to keep my guy happy, and when we got there, everyone else was wearing their casual stuff too...sweats or jeans, a hoodie, etc.

Update: February 15, 2009.
Thanks for the support everyone! In the 5 years we've been together, this is the first time he ever reacted this way to what I was wearing. I assumed he was just having a man-period and let it go. He told me later today that he was under the impression this was going to be a fancier event...dinner on V-day night and all. No harm done, and I got to say "I told you so" :P

- Asked by steff81, A Hippie Chick, Female, 29-35, Teaching

Sounds like he has issues, low self esteem? Wear what your comfortable wearing. Judging from what you just told us he sounds like a control freak. I would bet it will get worst before better. Stand up for your self, if he doesnt like what you wear send him on his way.

- Response by shanegalang, A Rebel, Male, 46-55, Transportation

I'm as comfy at my friend's houses as I am in my own...well, almost. ;)

Nothing wrong with jeans and tees. Most guys don't like to get fancied up...I'm surprized yours does...or did he just want "you" to get fancied up? :/

I think that one should accept each other as one are from day 1, and dressing up has its place, and more relaxed clothes as well. You are a human being, not a pretty car that he can show of.

- Response by klaxometro, An Alternative Girl, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

when we go out, we both wear business casual dress. no t shirts, no flip flops, and makeup/brushing of teeth is a must. anything short of that is just rude and obnoxious, unless you are a low life.

I disagree with ur b/f. If ur just hanging out & watching movies, u should be able to dress casual. I see nothing wrong with a t shirt & jeans. Maybe u should ask him to wear a tie, when he comes

- Response by spitfire815, A Hippie Chick, Female, 66 or older, Who Cares?