When a woman calls you a "sweetie" what could she possible mean by that?
Friendship / 11:45 PM - Saturday February 14, 2009

when a woman calls you a "sweetie" what could she possible mean by that?

Update: February 15, 2009.
Thank you all for anwsering my question I would give you 2 stars because of the answers. One or two answers were more interesting and will contact them farther

- Asked by arecee4bob, A Career Man, Male, 66 or older, Retired

Nothing...grow up. That's a term of endearment that means absolutely nothing, however, if you think she means more than that, just ask.

- Response by answerman65, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, St.Louis, Who Cares?

Perhaps that you are a thoughtful and caring person.

She appreciates your kindness, usually.

- Response by monana, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

Nothing on the average. Women in restaurants and other places call other men and women sweety all the time in normal conversation.
In that case it is not a term of endearment.
If you have a woman (or man) who only calls you sweety it can then be considered a term of endearment and means they care for you. But that is only if they don't use it with just anyone they come into contact with. In that case it really is meaningless.

- Response by cathymd50, A Creative, Female, 56-65, Administrative

It's a term of endearment. You've made yourself dear to her heart in some way. The degree of endearment depends on how many people she lets touch her heart. Today when my 15 year old son asked if I'd be his valentine on his way to play football with the guys I said "I'll always be your valentine sweetie" - but then, I'm not one to use random endearments. Can you judge this ladies' freedom with her loving touches?

- Response by krystalminister58, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Political / Government

I know you have already gotten answers to your question. My computer is down. However, "Sweetie" means nothing unless she's making physical movements (holding your hand, etc.). Some women just use the term automatically. Don't read too much into it.

It's a variation on 'cute'...:)

That she's probably a southern lady. Everyone's a sweetie, honey, or a darlin'.

- Response by pookiedoo, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

I use that term all the time... ALL THE TIME. I mean it as an endearing word to people that I encounter throughout my day. It, to me, is more personal than: Hey you! Or nothing at all.

It is a kind and friendly word to use. :)

LOL I get that alot too!
I think that means that we're sweet ,but we're just too old.LOL

- Response by randolph, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 56-65, Artist / Musician / Writer

Hmmm. All of the responses above are good. One other possibility: if you have been condescending to her in some way, which, unfortunately, men in your age group sometimes do without even realizing it, her calling you "sweetie" might be sarcasm.

A man I used to know often call me, "cookie," and I found it offensive, so I started calling him, "cupcake."

- Response by myowntwofeet, An Alternative Girl, Female, 46-55, Los Angeles, Other Profession

Just a nice person and well she might like you.

That in it's self means no more than when a waitress would say the same thing. It seems to be the custom among men and women today. You, of course know the whole story. I don't. For the most part: it is just the way men and women react with each other.

- Response by johnbo, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Who Cares?

She wants to get in your pants..

- Response by oldman52, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Sydney, Retired

She probably is just being nice or polite to an old man.

- Response by shyrich, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Seattle, Other Profession