A man who hasn't found something he is willing to die for is not fit to live.
Race, Religion & Politics / 9:57 PM - Saturday February 14, 2009

This quote from the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. surprises some people, confuses others, angers some and makes us all think. What do you think of this assertion?

- Asked by krystalminister58, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Political / Government

That is one quote of his with which I am 100% in agreement.
I along with millions of others have placed ourselves willingy
in harm's way to defend our families and our nation.

- Response by joat, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 66 or older, Retired

I had not heard this one before, seems a bit extreme to me. Many people devote everything they have for a cause, whales, the sick and the poor, refuges, trees, jungles, animals and many more excellent causes. But most do not intend to be martyrs to their cause. And many decades have gone by with no cause great enough to die for.
But I understand his point because of the great man he was. Few people can measure up to Dr. King.

- Response by concorbp, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, Self-Employed

It's a very strong position for a dead man to take.

I'm alive & I won't dare to get so "self-righteous".

Jesus said"THERE IS NO GREATER LOVE THAN TO LAY DOWN YOUR LIFE FOR A FRIEND".
We might add for a cause;;for a wife;;for a child,,etc.

I think what he meant was if you have nothing in your life you would die for,,,You really don't have much of a life.

And i would have to agree.

- Response by randolph, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 56-65, Artist / Musician / Writer

It may be a big strong to decide that one hasn't found something they are willing to die for and are not fit to live. But, I think family is an automatic for me and on top of that, I took an oath to die for you if necessary and I don't even know you..but I would put myself between you and harmsway if possible...no hero here..just the way I feel and get paid to do.

- Response by phoenixbandit, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Columbus, Law Enforcement

My thinking to die for something is the easy wayout but to live for something might be very difficult. Of course what do I know I have done neither. I don't like to think for someone to die is good One way of thinking Dr.Kings drew attention but what good might he have done if he had continued his work??????I do not know.

- Response by wifeneedsmoredust30, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Charlotte, Self-Employed

The quote is true. One can't truly live until they have found something that is worth dying for. How can one define the value of their lives if they have nothing to value it against? It's like the old "good and evil" argument, how can one know the real difference between the two until they have experienced both and have something in which to measure these extremes by? You can't know one without knowing the other. Same goes for life, without something to value it by how does one know if their lives are truly fit to live?

- Response by canajun, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Vancouver, Self-Employed

i did and it is red white and blue with stars and any american shoul,d be prepaird to die for it as thousands have alredy

- Response by dmncowboy, A Father Figure, Male, 66 or older, Retired

How many parents value their children's lives more than their own? If you don't you shouldn't have kids. I think the essence of this statement is that if you don't feel passionate about something you are not living up to your potential as a human being.

- Response by justapuss, Female, 46-55, Athens, Self-Employed

Hi Kry. If any of us isn't willing to die for the name sake of Jesus we aren't fit to live. Didn't all of the Apostles except John die a martyrs death. They placed Jesus first in their lives and were willing to die for that. For any of us to say we would die for something would be like Peter telling Jesus that he would never forsake him. Jesus replied to Peter that he would deny knowing Jesus three times before the rooster crowed. We don't really know until we are faced with a situation that might take our lives what we would do. I actually have no fear of death and quite frankly if I were a selfish person would hope that I wouldn't wake up tomorrow morning. Then I would be in a beautiful heaven instead of this decaying earth. I hope this helps answer your question. Reply if you like or have further questions. May God continue to richly bless your life.

Your San Diego friend
Al White

- Response by mralwhite, A Father Figure, Male, 66 or older, Retired

It is similar to Christ's assertion, "Greater love hath no man than that he lay down his live for a friend."

Both statements were prophetic.

- Response by 2wheels, A Creative, Male, 56-65, Retired

I think that MLK said many things, that much of what he said was utter horseshit, and that the quote you posted falls into the utter horseshit category.

- Response by An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Los Angeles, Financial / Banking

"This is the land of the free, BECAUSE of the brave"

'Death before dishonor'

- Response by billpayer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 66 or older, Who Cares?

what about those who practiced suicide, for what every reason, are they fit to live?

- Response by An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45

It brings to light another question, do we need someone with a cause their willing to kill for, to be fit for life??

it's a very bold assertion, and in my view points out the fact that even in the eyes of M.L.K. JR peace would never be able to be obtained.

- Response by 0leander, A Guy Critical, Male, 26-28, New South Wales, Self-Employed

Something worth dying for is to Lay down a life. To lay your life down is to GIVE it. To commit suicide it to TAKE. To murder is to TAKE. To take is to STEAL. Stealing is EVIL and giving is GOOD.

- Response by alanternnlife, A Creative, Female, 26-28, Self-Employed

Dr King was not saying it is necessary for one to lay down and die if they have not found a purpose in life that moves them beyond concern for just themselves. But the challenge is to discover something in your walk of life with goes beyond you and even self preservation....A PURPOSE that will leave a LEGACY

- Response by A Creative, Male, 46-55, Retired

@Creative guy - you got it! Personally, I found my calling... the fight for freedom. No, I'm not talking about that ridiculous propoganda that Uncle Sam Tyrant is spreading. Nor am I talking about the absurd war on terror. I am talking about freedom from the evil usurper of power himself, Uncle Sam. We are slaves to Uncle Sam, and most people don't even know it. His violation of the Constitution began all the way back in 1813. The federal income tax, the expansion of cental govt after the war of northern aggression, and the enactment of the Fed were the worst violations. Today, we live in a defacto totalitarian country ruled over by the Federal Reserve. AmeriKa is a fascist, totalitarian, imperialistic country. Uncle Sam will continue to lie, use the publiK fool system, and govt-media complex to tell the people otherwise. And, back to the quote... "It's better to fight for your own freedom than to live peacefully in someone else's chains". Visit me, Steve Ashworth on fascistbook

- Response by steveashworth, Female, 46-55, Dallas

This quote is on many levels, all having to do with truly living life. As some have mentioned, a decent parent will sacrifice their own life to save their child. Emergency workers and people in the military are constantly risking their lives for others. It has nothing to do with seeing how fast you can kill yourself or needlessly throwing yourself into danger. These days most teachers are prepared to die to try to protect the children in their classrooms. It also has to do with caring enough about the world to fight against injustice in whatever form it takes and to stand up for what you believe in. It even has to do with living life to the fullest by taking calculated risks to climb a mountain, soar with the eagles or explore the depths of the ocean.

- Response by A Sportif, Female, 56-65, Vancouver