What do you think of censorship?
Sex & Intimacy / 2:12 PM - Friday February 13, 2009

What do you think of censorship?

I was just listening to a local radio station and heard an announcment that a "parenting group" wanted a certain song pulled from the play list. I looked up the lyrics and really didnt see what the big deal was. There were no cuss words, no suggestive words, nothing predjudise...I'm sure if you dig deep enough you can find sexual innuendos. But, if you're like most teens (who is the target audience), you'll listen, sing a long and go about your life...which is probably filled with sexual innuendos as it is.

So whats the point of censorship? The media is a mainstream outlet for all types entertainment, information and amusement. WHY does any one feel they need to cencor a public forum? Because you dont want your children to be influenced by sex, drugs, alcohol, homosexualism, race, abuse, crime, peer pressure etc etc etc...the list goes on and on about what people want to prevent their children from seeing. OR do people want to censor because they, themselves do not want to encounter such unpleasent things? Either way I think there is a very simple solution...turn the channel! Dont watch or listen to something that makes you unhappy.

Simple. Right?

- Asked by crazysexysilly1, A Married Girl, Female, 29-35, Dallas, Celebrity

Radio, unless state owned, is not a public forum. It is a privatly owned business using public airwaves for a fee. If a customer comes to a store and complains that a display is inappropriate the owner can change the display or not. It is not censorship in the real sense.

Censorship is when the state chooses what can and cannot be said in public places, or edits the words of private citizens in privatly owned newspapers.

In this case these people see some sort of harm to the general good from the lyrics of this song (or from the image the band is portraying). So they have the right to complain and make their opinion heard. It is then up to the station to decide whether or not the complaint is valid.

If I feel that TV commericals during a TV show meant for families are inappropriate for my family viewing, I have the right to complain (and change the channel during commercials). It is my right as a parent to question the validity of someone decision on what sort of material to air on TV where my kids can watch it during times which are expected to be for general family viewing. It is not censorship as much as questioning someone thought process.

- Response by falconf1, A Father Figure, Male, 46-55, Ottawa, Who Cares?

I agree.

There are many songs and TV programs I don't want my kids exposed to. SO, I am present when they watch and listen, and *I* am the censor. Why should censor people who DO want to listen to it?

Parents are lazy. It takes work to shield your kids from these things. Obviously, these parents think the world revolves around them and their kids.

- Response by myndseye711, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35

Disrgarding what kids see, as you say above, just who is qualified to decide what will rot my mind, and why should they sacrifice themselves checking things out to see if they are fit for me?

- Response by wallvis, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 66 or older, Retired

Is it that retarded song that goes "I kissed a girl and I liked it"??

I think that song should be banned - I'm not in favor of encouraging the *Girls Gone Wild* generation even more.

- Response by jillopo, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35

censorship is just about 2/3's of the way down the road to totalitarianism.

if you don't like what you see, what you hear or what other think, then simply go somewhere else. the idea that a group can enforce a "moral", "socially acceptable" or "politically correct" code of conduct on others is just what national socialism did before it became a full fledged book-burning party, spawned the concentration camps and a war that cost europe 25 million human souls.

f*@k censorship.

It really is that simple. Only problem is that people are stupid and feel the need to bitch about these types of things so that they can feel important in thier miserable pathetic little lives.

- Response by froggystyle, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Student

I think it's up to parents to decide what their children listen to or watch and if they think that something is too 'suggestive' they shouldn't allow their children to listen to/watch it...if every parent was to get a song/tv show/etc censored, there wouldn't be any derogatory songs/shows/etc...maybe these parents need to understand that if they don't want their child to listen to this particular song, they should let their child know rather than try to get it pulled...not every parent wants to 'control' what they children watch/listen to so why should this parent group 'assume' that all parents feel the same...:D

what was the song?

- Response by sweetness04, A Trendsetter, Female, 26-28, Artist / Musician / Writer