Why didn't my boyfriend do anything for me for our One-year anniversary?
Dating / 8:38 AM - Monday February 02, 2009

I've been dating a guy for over a year and on our one year anniversary, he didn't surprise me with a gift, a fun day, or anything. I didn't even do anything fun with him. Should I feel let down or upset over this?

Update: February 02, 2009.
What my big deal is; he knew what day it was and he was anticipating it as much as me. This isn't the first time this has happened. He didn't give me anything on my Birthday either... not even a card.

Sounds like he didn't remember.
Sometimes you have to give us a subtle reminder like, "So Tuesday is our 1-year anniversary. What do you have planned for us?"

- Response by andrewj5267, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Miami, Teaching

As long as he treats you great the other 364 days in the year, give him a pass.

- Response by nowornever, A Thinker, Female, 66 or older, Financial / Banking

Because you're not married.

Anniversaries only count if you're married.

At your age you could break up tomorrow over anything.

- Response by lasikplus, A Thinker, Male, 46-55, Boston, Science / Engineering

did he know you wanted to, some guys are clueless, mine is! yes it sucks, but it is what i choose bc i love him, his cluelessness is cute sometimes, lol, but i wouldnt be upset, u have to let him no when things are a big deal to you

- Response by catlover2008, An Alternative Girl, Female, 26-28

Guys don't think about things like that. Especially from the ages of 14 to 30, unless you remind them. How old are you"

- Response by undercoverguy, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Retired

A lot of men do not remember anniversaries or other dates that women find important. So you can do one of two things, remind him a few days before of the important date or don't remind him and treat yourself to something nice on that date accepting that he didn't remember.

- Response by cocoacurevelous, A Hip Hop Girl, Female, 46-55, Administrative

How can anyone else possibly tell you how you should feel?

My guess would be that your anniversary was more significant to you than it was to him. So maybe you should have been the one to plan something special for that day, if it was so important to you.

Guys can be totally clueless. Not that they want to be mind you, but if you don't remind them, write it down, and email them, they will forget. NOT ALL MEN are like this. So for all of you guys out there who pay attention to the details, God Bless you and your significant other is very lucky to have you.
I can tell you that my husband asked me the other day when Valentine's Day was, because he didn't want to forget it. Now, I could have been mean and told him it already happened on January 14th, but I decided that wouldn't be a very nice thing to do even as a practicle joke. So, now, he's taking me out for a Romantic Dinner, and I am looking forward to our date.
So, don't feel upset or let down, unless of course, you know he knew for sure that it was your one year anniversary and that he just blew it off. On the other hand, sometimes we have to take matters into our own hands and tell our s/o where we are going for our Anniversary.

- Response by bnotafraid, A Creative, Female, Who Cares?, Artist / Musician / Writer

Most guys don't really acknowledge anniversaries until they are married. And even those guys forget. Sorry you got disapointed, maybe you should plan a fun day next time for both of you.

- Response by jessie2265, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Medical / Dental

nah, most guys don't pay attention to these kind of anniversaries - pay attention to how he treats you the rest of the time - that's the important part.

- Response by SassyMonique, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Other Profession

what plans did you make to celebrate?
In my opinion, all men are little boys in grown up bodies that need to be reminded now and then that they need to do too.
He may have felt that if you weren't planning anything, he shouldn't either....Or maybe he forgot because the date wasn't as important to him as it was to you.
Nevertheless, if you want something done right, talk it over and plan it out.
All those Prince Charming stories are just that; stories. No man, nor woman is perfect, so communication is the most important thing.
Hope your next anniversary will be better---Good Luck
-Kinny

- Response by kinny, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Self-Employed

drop him, he's a toad. later on you will be wondering what you were thinking. trust me. i know.

- Response by mirage100, A Thinker, Female, 46-55

Did you do for him??? Just curious. Anyways, a friend of mine dated a guy for years who didnt give one card EVER!!! He has a reason for this. Why not ask your guy...what are his thoughts on card and gift giving...

- Response by bikermommy, A Thinker, Female, 36-45