What does it mean when I am never called pretty or cute, but always "striking"?
Dating / 4:00 PM - Sunday February 01, 2009

I'm an attractive young woman of mixed race about to turn 19 this month-long, curly brown hair, about 5' 8", a nice figure that I've gotten from 14 years of ballet.
I haven't been called "cute" since I was 6. Nobody has said that I am pretty or beautiful since I spoke to my high school boyfriends a few years ago. Instead, I always get "You've become such a striking young woman." I'm not entirely sure what that means.

- Asked by A Thinker, Female, 22-25, Los Angeles, Artist / Musician / Writer

Without seeing your photo, it's hard to say, but usually "striking" means very attractive in a way that stands out - not a typical cookie cutter kind of beauty but something unique that you don't see everywhere. For example, if you have beautiful eyes that are an unusual color, or exceptionally high cheekbones or some other feauture that's not so common, the word "striking" will pop into people's minds. It's a good thing. :)

From Webster's New World College Dictionary, 4th Edition, page 1419:
"striking adj. ...2 very noticable or impressive; unusual, outstanding, remarkable, etc."
Dictionaries come in handy when you don't understand the meaning of a word. :) xoxo Jenny

- Response by jennylf, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Managerial

I wanna beat the shit out of "countrydude"!

Grrrr....

- Response by justwannabeme, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

I believe that it means that you are very attractive .........

Lady W*

- Response by ladywisteria, A Sweet Sarah, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

"Striking" in my book means incredibly attractive in all ways, body, hair, face...etc... Not one thing out of place, absolutely striking. It's a good thing.. no.. a great thing... Striking means "jaw dropping" lovely.

- Response by rpm29650, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Managerial

To be called "striking" can also be meant as looking exotic or carrying youself in a confident manner while being a more mature beautiful...probably part of being called striking is due to your being of a mixed race as well.

But,in itself that is also a compliment and one you should wear proudly because it means as you've grown you have went out of the "cute" stage and into the more mature stage of having both beauty,poise and self confidence.It's a combination few people are able to achieve and one which grabs a room when someone who has that combination enters it.

- Response by justme38271, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 46-55, Consulting

IT MEANS YOU ARE BECOMING A BEAUTIFUL AND EXQUISITE YOUNG WOMAN. I WANT TO KNOW WHY YOU SOUND INSECURE AND NEED THE ATTENTION OF OTHERS FOR YOU TO FEEL WORTHWHILE?

- Response by strawberryhoney1112, A Creative, Female, 36-45, San Diego, Therapist

I would much sooner be called striking than pretty or cute.Striking...Stands out in a croud as appealing.Good for you.

Cute, that's an expression for children, and pretty not exactly what you're reaching for, a pretty broad term, beautiful. Well maybe you have the looks, but not the persona to go with it. Looks are one thing, but nothing if you're a terd. So quit looking outside, and take a closer look inside, you'll probably find the answer to your question there

- Response by 2jacksam, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, Denver, Self-Employed

are you half colored?

- Response by countrydude9878, A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35