Is it illegal to "cut" through someones yard?
House & Home / 3:17 PM - Friday January 30, 2009

I've been having a lot of people walking home from a bar "cutting" through my yard in the early morning hours. I leave for work at 2 or 3 a.m. and I have been startled badly at least twice by strangers standing by my door or just "cutting" through the yard to get to the road. I've called the police to report it but they act like it's no big deal. So, my question is...is it actually illegal to pass through someone elses yard or is ok to just go where ever you want to go on this earth?

- Asked by slgbm2, A Married Girl, Female, 36-45, Home Maker

Really?

You called the cops because someone was on your lawn?

Really?

Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Don't you think the police have something more important to be doing than lawn patrol?

- Response by sunshine26, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35, Los Angeles

It may help if you post "no trespassing" signs. Perhaps then the police will take it more serious. Maybe even report them as prowlers.

- Response by mistyjean, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Self-Employed

Plant cactus, that will stop em!

- Response by lacey07, A Life of the Party, Female, Who Cares?, Other Profession

It would be tresspassing...but unless the police actually caught them in the act, they couldn't do anything.

I'd be looking into putting up a fence. That would scare the heck out of me too!

in most areas it is considered trespassing unless you let it go and make your yard a public domain.
check on the laws that apply in your area.
contact your city/county council/commissioners for the law that applies in your area.

Put up a sign that says no trespassing, and a fence.

- Response by loseing, A Guy Critical, Male, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

No, that is trespassing. Not legal. Do you have a fence that clearly marks the beginning and end of your yard?

It is illegal..
Its trespassing...
I looked into this issue years ago when I first moved to my neighorhood..
I live out in a rural area..and we had problems with people on our property..(long explantion I wont go into).
By law..(my ex is a police officer)..it has to be posted every so many feet, on or near your property line.
It involves more than sign posting..
You need to have your land surveyed to determine your lot lines, and other paper work needs to be filed.
Its quite involved to actually press charges, but if you feel the need to,call your local PD, and ask to speak to a shift commander, a sergeant, or lieutenant on duty, who will take your concerns more seriously..as there is already be a report filed of the police/patrolman responding to your call in the past.
This legal info I mentioned is for the State of MA.
I would still contact the above mentioned officers, to see what you should do.

- Response by surfsup, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Self-Employed

Yes it is tresspassing. It is a minor misdemeanor,and by the time the police got there they would be gone, if not the police would just warn them away.
Since it is people from a bar, "No tresspassing" signs proably won't do anything other than become a target for vandalism.
A fence or a "beware of dog" sign would work better.

In most places, its legal to walk across someone else's land unless it is fenced and posted with "No Trespassing" signs. So the people walking across your yard are legal.

You need to build a fence, probably a 6 foot high fence. If that doesn't keep them out, post signs on your fence that say "No Trespassing."

Technically it is, but it's such a minor minor offense the police aren't going to jump on it. To keep them out, put a fence up.

That's trespassing plain and simple and I'd but just as upset and startled at that time of the morning as you. Not to mention, I'd be pissed at what they were doing to my yard. The police won't do anything about something like this. You can put up a fence though which is probably the only way you will stop this. We had neighbor kids that didn't understand WHY they couldn't cut through our yard and climb our back fence to get to their houses quicker. They were wearing a path in my yard and I just had to start acting a fool. Problem solved. LOL!!

- Response by meandmrjones, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

trespassing onto private property. put up a fence and a sign.

- Response by A Life of the Party, Female, 26-28, New York, Other Profession

The police haven't done much because it's a misdemeanor for one, and there is no one there when they arrive, I'm assuming.

What these bar bums are doing is called trespassing. And yes it is illegal.
I would suggest a couple of things. Post a few no trespassing signs, place strategically placed plants of a pokey nature (Holly trees, cactus, anything sharp), or if you can afford it put up a sturdy, tall fence, as they may hop it. You should also install a couple of flood lights that are motion activated.

If you still have a problem I would suggest you contact your local board, township, or community center, PAL office, or go into the police office directly and sit down with someone and explain your dilemma. Perhaps they will have a solution.

- Response by thespicychef, Female, 36-45, Food Service

I would be careful because if the fence has been missing for more than 10 years, somewhere around that time and the public have been using it as a walk through. it would then be illegal for you to put a fence up on your own land. Resulting in a protest by the public to have the fence removed. The only way to solve this would be to pay to have the land made private again. So quit ringing the police and ring the DIY place instead for a fence before you loose all rights over your own land. I hpoe this was helpful

- Response by Female, 36-45, London

Put up a fence.

- Response by lasikplus, A Thinker, Male, 46-55, Boston, Science / Engineering

Yes, now go get a fence put up.

- Response by 7zebras, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, New York, Financial / Banking