How do I tell my boyfriend that I am tired of hearing about his ex girlfriend and his ex wife?
Dating / 3:42 PM - Wednesday January 28, 2009

we have been together for over a year now, He keeps talking about his exes. and compares me to them, I am tired of hearing about them, it makes me uncomfortable and I just want to tell him sometimes that I don't think he is over either one of them. how do I handle this situation?

Update: January 28, 2009.
thanks to all of you for the advice. I am doing alot of thinking as to what the next step needs to be. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

- Asked by A Cool Mom, Female, 36-45, Financial / Banking

Tell him what you just told us! Enough is enough!

- Response by lacey07, A Life of the Party, Female, Who Cares?, Other Profession

You cant just think about how you want him to stop. If you dont tell him it will continue. Tell him that you do not like it, and that you want him to stop. Tell him how it makes you feel.

- Response by luvsdjhtm, A Career Woman, Female, 26-28, Seattle, Who Cares?

You tell him calmly and politely -- just as you have done here.

And then tell him you will be charging him $1 for every time he slips up.

Don't you have having to treat grown men like children?????

Actually, if you really think he's not over one of them -- set him free. You deserve a guy who is 100% emotionally available to be in a relationship with you.

I've learned, but only because I've been with my husband for over 30 years, you have to be honest - don't let it boil and boil until it boils over. Set him down and just tell him, in a heartfelt, honest, non-accusatory way, that when he compares you to his exes or talks about them it upsets you. Also tell him it makes you think he hasn't moved on. Tell him you are who you are and you can't be anyone else, nor do you want to be - that either he loves you or he doesn't and the time to discover that is now. It may be that he doesn't even realize he's doing it and by pointing it out and how much it disturbs you, he may change his ways. Or it could be that you are not the one for him and that you need to be prepared to move on. Good luck!

- Response by gowith, A Thinker, Female, 56-65

Well when I dated a guy for a long time and then we broke up it was hard for me to find things to talk about and I always talked about my ex. I never did compare my new guy to my ex though. Just sit down and talk to him and tell him that it makes you uncomfortable that some times you don't feel good enough for him. I have just recently learned that talking about things can really help. I hope things work out for you.

- Response by cosmolover01, A Thinker, Female, 26-28

A simple.... " STFU about your damn ex~s!!

- Response by dreemer43081, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Columbus