Why is it horrible to say a "fat" person looks gross but call a "skinny" person gross
Sex & Intimacy / 12:46 PM - Tuesday January 27, 2009

why is it horrible to say a "fat" person looks gross but call a "skinny" person gross

and you get a pat on the back?
say a star that has gained weight looked horrible and gross before and you get a star, say that she looks gross now that she's gained weight and get a jerk award.
Isn't it about personal preference?
Some skinny people are always going to say fat people look gross and some fat people are jealous and say skinny people are gross. that's life
Personally i think Jessica is pretty no matter what she weighs, shouldn't her health be all that matters??
Being thin is healthy (not underweight)being overweight is not. Neither one is ugly though.

Update: January 27, 2009.
I'm sorry if people don't like it but being overweight even by ten pounds can cause a bunch of weight related problems. Of couse skinny people get sick too but unless anorexic it's not weight related. My question is simply why is it ok to say skinny is gross but not fat is gross? Skinny people have feelings too. I never meant to isult anyone with a weight problem, as i said already that people are beautiful regardless of weight. There are however, weight related health concerns. I don't need to tell you that, take a look at the hospitals.

Update: January 27, 2009.
justpassingthru i meant to say that both are jealous of the other, not that overweight people are just jealous of skinny people. I missed that and didn't mean to offend anyone. People that isult other people's look (fat, thin, pink, yellow) are usually jealous

- Asked by beanielou, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Halifax, Who Cares?

"Some skinny people are always going to say fat people look gross and some fat people are jealous and say skinny people are gross."

Interesting that you inserted the motivation (they must be "jealous") behind thinking skinny is gross. What do you think the motivation is behind thinking fat is gross? I think that shows right there how much of a bias there is that skinny is better - regardless of how awful it might look, or how unhealthy it might be. The bias may be subtle at times, but it's always there.

Being "thin" is NOT automatically "healthy." Some thin people are in *terrible* health - worse than overweight people! Being HEALTHY is healthy.

I think it's absolutely horrible to call anyone gross, unless they are unclean and smelly by choice (yes some people don't mind stinking). Fat, or skinny, people who choose to look good, look good. Something like beauty cannot be based on such trivial criteria, at least not ONLY on these.

- Response by pearlndew, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

I don't do either.......so am I doing it the right way ???

- Response by nuttyprofessor, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Transportation

The only time I call someone gross is when they look sickly thin, other than that I hardly ever used the word to describe heavy set or skinny women.

- Response by phillychickie311, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35, Philadelphia, Administrative

I don't know who you are directing this towards... the tabloids? I work in a very crowded environment (a hospital actually) with lots of men and women (and overweight and underweight patients) and I have never heard anyone label someone "gross." Yes obesity is an epidemic in the United States but it's up to the person who's overweight to address the problem and not listen to those who pass judgment on others to make themselves feel better. As far as "the stars" updates, the only time I see stuff like that (Oprah, Rosie, Kristy Alley, Paris, Nicole, Mary Kay and Ashley) is on the cover of Star magazine or other magazines like that. That's called advertising- it's their greatest sales tool. You have 2 magazines in front of you- names irrelevant. One states "My next door neighbor built a barn in only 3 days" and the other one states "J Lo's health in question after losing 13 pounds in just 5 days..."
Magazine 1 sells 13,000 copies, magazine 2 sells 7.9 million.
Calling someone "gross" or making any comments like that denotes ignorance... don't get caught up in it- ignore the stupidity...

- Response by brvhart001, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Medical / Dental