I dyed my hair and the ends became darker than the hair on top of my head. How do I get even color?
Sex & Intimacy / 9:48 PM - Sunday January 25, 2009

My natural hair color is a really dark brown. I first dyed it a dark auburn brown color 2 years ago. Ever since I've been dying it different auburn brown colors and a few times I had this problem. Just recently I dyed it a dark brown. It ended up again with this problem with my ends being the darkest. How can I get an even hair color? Please help.

- Asked by bellydancer1012, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, Tampa

In order to get an even hair color you would have to strip the previous hair color off and start over. Hair dye will not take evenly over previously dyed hair. You would need to "strip" the haircolor by "bleaching" your hair completely and then apply the color you are wanting. I went to school for this and I would recommend going to a proffessional so you don't damage your hair. Most store bought products are not very conditioning to the hair and can cause damage. Any questions...just message me and I'll try to help. Good luck!

- Response by sassyredhead, A Married Girl, Female, 36-45, Managerial

Mine does the same thing, the ends are way darker. Im going to get most of it cut off and start over.

- Response by 1sassychic, A Married Girl, Female, 36-45, Student

My hair does that, too! I think it has to do with the brittleness of older hair is allowing more dye to seep in. I guess the cure for that would be to let the hair rest, or get some really deep-conditioning hair products.

If you want to correct the problem using dye itself, I would highly recommend seeing a professional. At least now the color gradient is equal- you don't want to go putting funky chunks of color into your hair.

- Response by anie01, A Thinker, Female, 22-25

You need to leave the color on a little longer on the roots, slowly mixing it to the ends. It doesn't need to be on the ends very long at all, as they are dryer and absorb the color faster.

This is especially true if your hair is long, like mine.

Why? Because the ENDS are far more 'porous' than your roots; meaning, they soak moisture (yes, color) more than the roots.

You're not gonna get *even* color by doing it yourself, sorry. The color needs to be applied at the roots and through the midsection first, and then the last 20 minutes of processing, pull through to the ends. If you're talented enough to do this on your own, go for it. Otherwise, you're going to have to pay a little extra at a salon. If you have a tight budget, try a cosmetology school.

- Response by jillopo, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, Other Profession

sorry....you can't as your ends are less alive than your roots and will absorb less product.I think you need to have your ends trimmed or go get your hair dyed professionally.

- Response by honeywillow, A Life of the Party, Female, 46-55, Edmonton, Who Cares?

Salon formulas don't do that.

- Response by classyclaws, An Alternative Girl, Female, 46-55, Houston, Self-Employed