Can a cold cause a toothache?
Diet & Health / 10:31 PM - Wednesday January 21, 2009

Can a cold cause a toothache?

I've had a really bad cold for about a week now, and this morning when I woke up I had a toothache too! The last 5-6 molars on each side, both top and bottom, have a dull ache. It's not that bad, but it hurts more when I press my teeth down. What could be causing this??

Update: January 21, 2009.
Thanks for all the responses... it's a sinus infection, which means the sinus cavities above my molars are swollen, which puts pressure on my teeth making them ache. (google sinus toothache).

- Asked by fergie, A Hippie Chick, Female, 26-28, Chicago, Science / Engineering

Yes, although it's not actually the cold that causes it. Your sinuses are clogged. In many people, the tubes that clog pass near the molars. The pressure against your molars causes them to hurt. When you bite, the pressure and pain will be greater.
Take some cold meds that will also relieve sinus pressure.

- Response by chessplayer, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Administrative

Umm, just so ya know...you only have a total of three permanent molars in your adult set of teeth. The third set are your wisdom teeth.

But the pain when pressing down, is possibly caused by either your wisdom teeth coming in or cavities. You might want to schedule a dental appt. to be safe.

- Response by veraxaudeo, A Player, Female, 26-28, Detroit, Student

Sounds to me like your cold has turned into a sinus infection which can cause tooth, jaw and facial pain. My suggestion would be to go buy some Mucinex D this will loosen any mucus as well has a decongestant in it. If you start to run a fever then you will need to see your doctor for an antibiotic. I have chronic sinus infections and this with a combination of daily allergy meds Rx is the only thing that keeps them under control.

Absolutely! You have sinuses and cavities that can become infected and cause upper and lower teeth to ache from contact with the roots. I went to the dentist a year ago with a tooth ache and it was residual from a sinus infection from a cold. It aches like a big time tooth ache too!
Give it time and get on an antibiotic to get rid of the infection.

- Response by cher101, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 56-65, Self-Employed

Yes it can as the infection goes to a weak part of the body where it then causes trouble and pain

Go to the dentist to make sure it's not a cavity. Chances are you have a sinus infection, which expresses itself in tooth pain. I'll save you some money by having to go to two doctors.

- Response by bnotafraid, A Creative, Female, Who Cares?, Artist / Musician / Writer

no. not possible.