Martin Luther King Jr Holiday is a joke
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 1:15 AM - Monday January 19, 2009

Martin Luther King Jr Holiday is a joke

MLK was a good decent man but he does not deserve a holiday. No single individual has a holiday dedicated to them except for Jesus.

MLK Holiday is a joke and we all know it. To give him a national holiday is saying that he was the single most important person in the history of America. If he is deserving then so are many other Americans.

Please!

Update: January 19, 2009.
President's day is not an individual holiday. It combines washington and lincoln. While they're handing out holidays, why didnt jackie robinson get one, rosa parks, etc? They should have just named it Black Rights Day and honored all the activists. MLK Jr is honored because he was murdered and that was tragic. If he died of old age, he would have never been the historic figure he is now. Martyrs make for better history. Doesn't mean he deserves HIS OWN holiday.

- Asked by A Career Woman, Female, Who Cares?

I quite agree but yes you're probably going to get a lot of hate mail for this and I applaud you...

- Response by kickinghawk, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35

I'm willing to bet he did more in one week than you will accomplish in 1 lifetime.

- Response by wildbelle, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, Pittsburgh, Food Service

I agree to a limit. At least I get a day off from school :) I just want to say though that its interesting that black people were forced to sit at the back of the bus and now that they can sit wherever they want...where do they sit?? The back.

- Response by An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25, Student

I completely agree. Why doesn't Che Guvara have a holiday? Why doesn't Chiang Kai Shek have a holiday? Why don't we honor that? They did as much and risked their lives. They should designate an activist day where human rights were affected by their contribution. NOT just one man. Rosa Parks did do more. So did Frederick Douglas.

- Response by zerotohero2, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Los Angeles, Who Cares?

I think having a holiday for jesus is a bigger joke. Mlk represents a harsh reality in the history of a society, and as to how those mistakes shudn't be repeated again. Not to mention it represents an inspiration against injustice in any genre be it gender, color, and other sociological characteristics..

- Response by playaarrow, A Player, Male, 29-35, Toronto, Science / Engineering

Was Jesus a man? He has a holiday? If he was born then scholars say it was in March, and he supposedly died in about August. So what is his holiday? As for MLK, you gotta be white, and probably southern, and obviously a hater for no reason, because, seriously, what harm does it do to you? Some people thought he was special. He was a living breathing man who fought to help people. Sad that you hate a man for what he has done, but love a possible myth that may have done nothing. (please don't preach, I have heard it all, and you have your faith, but you cannot prove it...)

- Response by gizmo7694, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, San Francisco, Law Enforcement

Jesus doesn't deserve a holiday! since when do fictional characters get their own holidays??? might as well throw in a national hamburglar day too while we're at it!! you religious brainwashed zombies are pitiful.

- Response by christheterrible, A Rebel, Male, 26-28, Pittsburgh, Transportation

well however you feel, as long as you live mlk will always be honored rather you like it or not. So get over it.

- Response by trechanna, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

whatever.

if you think someone else is deserving of a national holiday get off your ass and start a campaign to get it made into a federal holiday.

Roonald Reagan is the President that made MLK Day a Federal holiday....

I choose to honor MLK Jr. and everything he represented

- Response by meowmeowww, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

OH,OH! You've just opened up the rath of the Liberal assholes on this site who are going to call you a racist. God have mercy on you!

- Response by A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65

i do think he deserves a holiday..He had a dream, & unstead of just dreaming he desided to take a stand & make it work..not very many people could do that..he knew people would hate him for it, he even knew that maybe someone would try to kill him because of it..he knew it was going to be the hardest thing he ever could do, that he may not even excede..but he did it anyway!! why?? because it was the right thing to do & he was a VERY REMARKABLE person! I'm sure Jesus doesnt mind him having a holiday & is very proud of the fact that he does

- Response by dragonflyfairie, A Hippie Chick, Female, 29-35, Other Profession

It's a thinly-kept secret that our own government insiders had him murdered, so naming a holiday for him is cynical in the extreme.

- Response by creepyolderguy, A Player, Male, 56-65, Medical / Dental

Please stop sending me psycho pm's and cursing me out. You deserve to be on Jerry Springer if you haven't already been featured on the show.

huh.

i guess you're entitled to YOUR opinion.

since you asked, in MY opinion, you're being small minded and bitchy.

- Response by luckycowgirl, A Player, Female, Who Cares?, Celebrity

I'm with you. I do like some of the things MLK did, but I don't see why he should have a national holiday. The whole thing is just a big "hate whitey" show.

But I still like having a day off.

- Response by jophus, A Rebel, Male, 29-35, Artist / Musician / Writer

I have always felt the way you do about this so called holiday.Just another day to me.

- Response by roanna, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65, Self-Employed

mlk i an other who couldnt stay on his own side of the block and he paid for it...end of story

- Response by vaporcat, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

@dragonflyfairie You are obviously not very educated. Let's start with your screen name. You spelled fairy 'fairie'. You wrote 'unstead', it's instead. You wrote 'desided', it's decided. You wrote 'excede', it's succeed. This just shows how ignorant people like you are!

he championed for African American civil rights! hun, for real!? why do we have presidents day? to remember our nations heros. what's the harm in letting a man who gave his life for equal rights a day in respect?

- Response by desota18, A Creative, Male, 22-25, Self-Employed

What about Presidents Day and if you look at what his efforts have done, Obama elected president, then he did something pretty outstanding.

feels good to be anonymous..twisted freak..don't it..?

Yay...i love black folks and rainbow colors...i welcome all holidays...
today i proclaim a history lesson for bigots...hooraY.

oh, you can jerk me bitch...your choice do i care no..and they don't go to tribunal.
:/

- Response by pinknblu, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?