If a guy says he doesn't have time for a girlfriend, but acts like you're dating what does it mean?
Dating / 6:04 PM - Sunday January 18, 2009

I've been very good friends with this guy for several years and I'm totally in to him, so I asked him out. He told me he just doesn't have time for a girlfriend right now but he'll take me out to diner, take time off work so we can go places together, and get upset if another man shows interest in me. Does it mean he just likes the attention, or is he interested, or something else completely?

- Asked by An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25, Las Vegas, Artist / Musician / Writer

Hard to say...he could just be looking for sex, or he could legitimately be afraid of commitment and labels that lead people to believe that you're together.

Be careful though. I was going with a guy who didn't want a "girlfriend" because he just got out of a relationship. He was happy to flirt, make-out with me, take me out, etc...I thought he was just trying to go slowly, then he told me that he's dating another girl.

Don't invest too much of your emotion until you know where he stands.

- Response by A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Los Angeles

He could be terrified of the word, "girlfriend". Maybe a woman burned him badly in the past and he feels that without a title, he won't get hurt.

- Response by diamondsnrust00, A Thinker, Female, 26-28

It sounds like this guy just doesn't like labels. If you're trying to find out if he wants to be exclusive (I think that's the word I'm looking for--just date each other), you may want to consider just asking him that. Good luck

- Response by directfemme, A Sportif, Female, 29-35, Los Angeles

he isnt the commirment type but he likes you?...

- Response by rio7luvs7me7back, A Life of the Party, Female, 22-25, Auckland, Student