Am I too young to get married?
Married Life / 6:32 PM - Wednesday January 14, 2009

Am I too young to get married?

I'm 22 years old, and i've been with my fiance for 4 years. My fiance is 26. We're getting married in November and every time someone notices my ring they always tell me that i'm way too young to be getting married and settling down.

Am I too young?

- Asked by amyamyyamyyy, An Engaged Girl, Female, 26-28, Teaching

No,I don't think so,,,that's because you and he have already been a committed couple for so long.If it had been a shorter relationship I would be hesitant because people need time for themselves and to themselves in order to figure out who they are and what they are capable of before sharing with someone else but it sounds like you two have matured past that.

- Response by justme38271, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 46-55, Consulting

well i dont know what you think but some people on here are telling you to have fun and your too young and blah blah blah. Well honestly i would have to agree with one of the people that responded saying that its really the maturity level.

I think its great to settle down, well not my pick of words but to find that one you want to spend your life with. Its not up to any of us to really tell you if your ready or not but we help you from our experiences. I think its all based on what you want out of your life, personally i dont like going out to bars ,getting drunk or any of that its not my thing. And for someone to tell you to go out and enjoy yourself like that is not every bright due to the fact that them things can damage a persons life. Now i dont know how you live your life or anything but enjoy your life with a person you love and loves you back. In today's world people are going to opinionated about you all they want, but its all goes down to what you want in life.

- Response by A Trendsetter, Female, 26-28, Who Cares?

Only if you think you are. Do what you think is best. If you are with the guy you want to be with 30, 50 years from now, then yes, by all means.

I was 20, and wasn't too young.

I've known people that got married at 30 and were too young.

Its not an age...but a maturity level, and a knowing of what you want in life.

If you and your fiance are ready to make this committment, and wish to build a life together...no, you're not too young. You are just right. Congrats!! :)

In my opinion, you are too young. I think anything under 26 is too young to get married. The risk of divorce is much higher the younger you get married. When I was 22, I couldn't of imagined being married. I'm 32 now and STILL can't imagine being married!

- Response by newdad, A Jock, Male, 36-45, Las Vegas, Transportation

I was married at 18, threw him out within the year. Met my second husband when I was 19 and we were together 16 years. Best of luck to you.

- Response by blackkat, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Self-Employed

I'm also 22, and personally don't feel ready to settle down at all. I'm enjoying be able to date around, relax and do what I want. I am dating someone who I think I could potentially marry, but I'm not ready to think about that yet. I'm concentrating on school, my career and having fun for now.

But for you, it could be a completely different story even though we're the same age. If you have found the person who you're sure you want to be with for life, and you're ready for the committment, then don't focus on other people's negativity. Everyone's life story is different. I think you're old enough to make good decisions for yourself. All the best to you!

- Response by heavenonearth27, A Creative, Female, 26-28, Toronto

I got married at 22 and looking back it was the biggest mistake of my life. We are still married 25 years later and have had our share of ups and downs. But we had just graduated college, I had never worked....we were babies. Maybe you two are more mature.

Looking back I wish we has waited til we were older.

- Response by scooper, A Sportif, Female, 46-55, Dallas, Who Cares?

If you want to marry him, marry him!

Love and commitment dont need to be as ominous and complicated as the older generation would have you think.

You love him?

He loves you?

You never want to lose him?

He never wants to lose you?

You make eachother happy?

If you can answer YES to all those questions, YOU ARE READY!!!

Congratulations!

- Response by mistresswench69, A Player, Female, 26-28, Who Cares?

my godparents are high school sweet hearts... going strong for 12 plus years....personally i would'nt get married right now..but only you know what your heart is feeling..... but young couples do last... just remember...marriage is work!!!!!!!..no B.S.!!! it's 24/7 WORK!!!!! but being in love and happy pays off!!!!!...good luck!!

- Response by southbaygirl23, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, Los Angeles

For a million years young women have married and started their families at around age 13-15. That's when evolution or "mother nature" makes women ready. Only since the past century has a new radical feminist culture told women to forego marriage and family and follow a man's education and career. But female fertility starts to decline after age 26, and declines rapidly after age 30, so your family making years are passing rapidly by.

Compared to the billions of young women over the past million years, you are in the oldest fraction of a percent. You certainly are not too young.

I changed alot between 18 and 30... I definatly not the same person. I have my own opinions about when people should get married (at lease 28), but they are not opinions that I share with everyone. Its your choice to get married. maybe you will be one of the lucky ones that everything works out for and your married for 70 years... lol. (I hope I am..)

- Response by An Engaged Girl, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

You need to do whatever feels right to you. You two have certainly dated long enough to get to know eachother. I married at 22...and 10 years later, I would do it again and again and again.

- Response by bikerchick1, A Life of the Party, Female, 36-45, Atlanta, Financial / Banking

No your not as long as you have no doubts, and made sure both of you are very compatible on many levels to have a long term lasting marriage. Just remember this is the man you will be with the rest of your life...really sit down and make sure this is what you want.

I got married at 20 and I'm divorcing at 23. We had only dated for a year and a 1/2, and I had doubts.

Good luck to you!

- Response by kira85, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 29-35, Dallas, Financial / Banking

22/26 is hardly a teenage marriage. I think that when someone is an adult and out on their own, they can be trusted to make their own decisions about when to marry. If you're in love, if you want to be married, if you are mature, if you want similar things out of life, than yes you are ready to get married.

When people make comments, just smile and say "we were just lucky to have found each other when we were so young."

- Response by soccerchica, A Creative, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

I don't think you're too young. It seems like the ones who are telling you that you are too young to get married are the women who probably waited until 32 to get married and had kids by 35, and the single guys in their 30s who are still single for a reason...they never want to grow up and be adults. Do what feels right for you and him. It doesn't matter what others think. Congrats by the way!

- Response by crazyinlove923, A Career Woman, Female, 26-28, Medical / Dental

you r 22 who cares ti si your life and if u love the guy and u both agree go for it

- Response by xxtwilightloverxx, A Thinker, Female, 18-21, Who Cares?

forget what everyone else says. if YOU are ready, then you are ready. no other way about it.
I'm 21, I just got married in November. My husband is 24. We were together for 4 years before we tied the knot...engaged for 3 of those years.
We have our little fights, but we love each other and let all the other stuff go at the end of the day.
Congratulations to you both.

- Response by mrsjsqanda, A Married Girl, Female, 26-28, Atlanta, Who Cares?

..no..you'll need the practice for your second husband..:)

- Response by michellekia, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, St.Louis, Other Profession

Yes.

Wait until you're 25 please.

- Response by lasikplus, A Thinker, Male, 46-55, Boston, Science / Engineering

Sounds like you have only had this one bf. That makes it too soon and you too young. You need to go out with lots of guys before you settle down to one. You don't want to regret it later if you don't.

- Response by lacey07, A Life of the Party, Female, Who Cares?, Other Profession

If you need to ask, you're definately too young. I'm 26 and I'm engaged to be married Dec 2010. I'm still scared about it, but I know I love him enough to make that big step. Who really does care what others think? it's your life. They aren't the ones that are tying the knot you are. So stop being immature.

- Response by goingbananas26, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

Plus, you were only in high school. but anyway, congrats. Why do you care what others think?