Why do men often grab their crotch?
Sex & Intimacy / 8:04 PM - Sunday January 11, 2009

Why do men often grab their crotch?

Is it something sexual or are they repositioning themselves? Also, they don't seem to care if they do it in front of females either. Is this a flirting technique? Just curious.

its not as complex as you think. men are simple minded so everything they do...is just as it seems. He grabs his crotch...cuz it itches.

- Response by lylajuliette, A Thinker, Female, 26-28

it's a guy thing. put yourself in their shoes!!!

- Response by imissit, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 66 or older, Who Cares?

if they were girls they'd play with their boobs. it's a guy thing. so i've been told.

- Response by jeeeezelouisee, A Thinker, Female, 22-25

Just got the answer for that one from one of my guy friends. He says that his "junk" gets stuck to his legs. Go figure, I never have to adjust the girls, they just stay put.

- Response by rosebudlea, A Hippie Chick, Female, 46-55

That's their way of asserting the manhood they know they lack to one another. When was the last time you saw a woman who knows herself to be a woman grab her crotch in front of another woman? In fact, when was the last time you saw a gay man who knows himself to be gay grab his crotch in front of another man?

- Response by thedaimler2006, An Alternative Girl, Female, 56-65, Atlanta, Self-Employed

It started with Michael Jackson doing it in his videos in the early 80s then the gangstas picked it up and all the kids thought it was cool. I can't wait for the fad to pass. I saw an extream the other day, a guy was walking down the street with one arm inside his shirt and his hand down his pants holding his croch. I hope he washed his hands.

- Response by blackkat, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Self-Employed

I've often wondered about this. I swear of someone does it overtly in front of me, I'm gonna grab the girls and see what he thinks.

- Response by monana, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

because there bag is stuck to there legs

- Response by badpantyboy, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Edmonton, Other Profession

Sometimes it could be because they are readjusting and other times it could be just because they are itchy...some guys don't even notice when/if they are grabbing their crotch because it's something they do without thought or intent...:D

just making sure everything is still in place I guess. I've never been much of a public crotch grabber myself.

- Response by usarmy24id, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 36-45, Celebrity

Its like picking a weddige, some people just do it without even realizing they are doing it.

- Response by amongyong, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35, Retired

I dont remeber the last time I grabbed my crotch. I was probably repositioning myself.

- Response by tnix123, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 36-45, New York, Managerial

I see my guy friend do this alot and I never say anything, I just try to look off, even at night when we are asleep he is moving his dick around, I think that is one I will never understand, It irritates me when he do all day long in front of me!! Makes me wanna SCREAM!!!

- Response by A Hip Hop Girl, Female, 36-45, Consulting

My hubby does this too. Its really emberessing when he does it while he's talking to his mother. I think its to remind themselves that they are a man. And because it itches. Or needs an adjustment.

- Response by A Cool Mom, Female, 36-45, Dallas

There are three primary reasons that I can think of:

1) The penis and testicles are appendages anchored to the body through skin, ligaments, and blood vessels. There are no muscles or bones with which to move them without external physical manipulation. Due to their hanging nature they can, in some conditions, become uncomfortably bunched up, twisted, squished or suffer other forms of abrasion within the confines of clothing. When this happens they need to be adjusted. It isn't something we plan.

This reaction can occasionally be consciously controlled, and I assure you most of us do hold off until we can be discrete (in any given situation) and you will never notice, but occasionally the need will be too pressing to ignore. A pinched testicle pressed between your thigh and your jeans is not something you can merrily pretend isn't happening.

2) Stuff itches and otherwise gets stuck. Even wearing lose clothing is no cure to this fact. One of the reasons the testicles hang loose is to keep them cool, which promotes sperm production. The confines of clothing generate heat, which causes the endothermic reaction of the scrotum to loosen and hang even lower (in addition to getting sweaty).

When the scrotum gets stuck to your sweaty thigh, or becomes itchy or irritated when rubbing against underwear, you need to scratch it. Itches happen. Our penises and testicles are a part of us, like your nose or finger. Do you notice every time you scratch your arm or idly itch your nose? No, of course not. Odds are you've done both activities several times today, but you'd be hard pressed to remember each event. The same thing goes for scratching our selves. Most men I know are discrete as possible, and having an itch is certainly no excuse for lurid or obscene public crotch-grabbing, but it is a reality of having external genitals. I truly doubt most men do this with any intention other than ending the discomfort of an itch in a very sensitive area.

3) Sexual. If a man is becoming physically aroused he will need to readjust himself to conceal and otherwise reposition his erection to a more comfortable state. We don't have direct control over our penises; they aren't light-switches. As embarrassing (especially in the teenage years) and distracting as this can be, it is a natural and normal part of the function of the penis.

This should not be confused with lurid/obscene gesturing. If you see a man grabbing or groping his crotch in an obscene fashion in public it is because he is a Neanderthal pig, nothing more.

In closing I would also like to say: A) testicles are not breasts and these comparisons are moot, B) addressing a natural physical need to readjust or itch is not done with the intention of embarrassing anybody, and C) I cannot think of one time in my life that addressing the functionality of my genitals has impacted my feelings of masculinity.

- Response by A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Toronto

There's more than a few reasons as to why men grab their crotches. From itching, to masturbation, to arrogance displays and on, they're all valid, and I suspect Women have their own versions of the act.

Lately, I've been pretty depressed. Chronic illness, downturn in income, family issues have gotten me down. I've noticed that while I'm watching TV or on the internet, I have been sticking my hand down my pants and cradling my junk.. sometime without really realizing it. This never leads to masturbation and most of the time, it doesn't cause an erection, but it does feel good. I'm guessing that this is why I do it; in the midst of depression, my body knows how to trigger the feel-good drugs that it makes. One of the best ways to do this is manual stimulation of the sex organ. It's primitive and maybe base, but I think it's unfair to superimpose politics on biology. Better dopamine from the brain, than dope on the streets, yes?

It makes me think of the iconic image of the down trodden male slob, sinking into his chair, lost in TV and hand sunk down his pants. Al Bundy spoke to the emasculated, afraid man in all of us. He was sad, people.

- Response by A Creative, Male, 36-45, Minneapolis, Self-Employed

- Response by sdlkfh4w78, A Creative, Male, 36-45, Minneapolis, Self-Employed

Long before there was Michael Jackson and "gangstas" there were men and external genitalia. So, why is it that only in the past few decades have men/boys been grabbing their junk in public? Call me old fashioned. I prefer not to see men/boys grabbing themselves. Show a little self-control.

- Response by A Cool Mom, Female, 56-65, New York, Who Cares?

Most of you are Morons it just it itches or needs
repositioning if you see a guy really groping
he is a gay guy

- Response by A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 36-45, Science / Engineering

ive never seen this only on tv or movies..who does this?

- Response by swemur1, A Creative, Female, 46-55

You're kidding right? I suspect jock itch.

- Response by tinkerbelle22361, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 46-55, San Francisco, Consulting

Men being stupid and not being a gentleman....

- Response by richard77, A Jock, Male, Who Cares?, Self-Employed

they either have an itch or they are repositioning their balls... dont worry i asked my bf the same thing.

- Response by maria6606, A Trendsetter, Female, 22-25, Who Cares?

Adjusting
How would you feel if you had sh*t dangling between your legs?

-I asked my hubby :-)

- Response by Vickey69, A Married Girl, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

mine itches.

- Response by movi, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Administrative

How old are you?

Men start grabbing their cocks the day after they're born.

They stop the day after they die.

It means nothing.

Forget about it.

- Response by lasikplus, A Thinker, Male, 46-55, Boston, Science / Engineering