Can you be in love with two people at once?
Dating / 11:11 AM - Friday January 09, 2009

I don't think so, but someone I know does. I think being in love is an all-consuming, "got to be with this person" feeling that cannot be split in two.
Maybe teenagers or early 20s feel like this, but mature adults shouldn't feel this way. Your thoughts?

- Asked by cottontown, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Self-Employed

I dont think so either. You might be able to care for two people at a time or be infatuated with two people, but loving them is a whole different story. True love is only for one person, I believe.

- Response by phillychickie311, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35, Philadelphia, Administrative

As an adult I agree that you cannot be "in love" with more than one person at a time. If you think so you are not really in love with them. Some people mistake infatuation with being in love. They are two different things! Just like "love" is different than "in love"

- Response by A Cool Mom, Female, 36-45, Therapist

NOPE....you can be "in like" with more than 1 person. BUt not in love..Love is too deep

- Response by gaffb, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 26-28, Toronto, Administrative

That "got to be with this person feeling" is not love. It is infatuation and doesn't last. I think you can love many people at a time but not in the romantic sense. There are people who love one person for several reasons and cheat on them because another person fills a different need they have. In reality they don't love either person, just themselves. If you love someone you don't give part of that heart that you have given away to someone else at the same time. I agree, it can't be split in two, it has to be with one person at a time.

- Response by tootcat, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Retired

I think you can LOVE many people at the same time. You fall in love with people for who they are. And nobody is perfect. And the all consuming desire to be with one person may be an altoghter different reason you have the all consuming desire to be with someone else. Same principal as friends. You want to do some things with some friends and other things with other friends. It all depends on which need is being filled and by whom.

- Response by kris1012, A Cool Mom, Female, 36-45, Seattle, Home Maker

its probably more of an infatuation then love but that sometimes feels like it....although as the old saying goes one can never truely say never...

- Response by givemeatry99, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 36-45, Philadelphia, Science / Engineering

I think so. The heart wants what the heart wants. Sometimes we deprive ourselves of a certain person for whatever reason, find someone new, fall in love, and still long for that other person.

- Response by unbrokenfrog, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Home Maker

I think you can have feelings for more than one person at a time...some people are even capable of loving more than one person at a time.

But as for love being "an all-consuming, 'got to be with this person' feeling that cannot be split in two," that sounds more like infatuation to me...or in the extreme, an obsession and/or stalker. B/c isn't love supposed to make you want to be a better person and all those other cliché things? Not what sounds kind of miserable, b/c that's how your definition sounds to me.

- Response by veraxaudeo, A Player, Female, 29-35, Detroit, Student

Ask a father if he loves both of his children. Of course you can love more than one.

Polygamy is a very old form of families, supported by most religions. A man can love both of his wives and all of his children. No problem bro.

I dont see why not, and why is it confined to a certain age. the thing is when it gets serious, decisions have to be made so that people are not hurt too much. I see that you are married, this puts a different slant on things.. bored?

- Response by suze2bird2, A Life of the Party, Female, 56-65, Teaching