Dating "exclusively".... what does that mean to you?
Dating / 12:30 PM - Wednesday January 07, 2009

- Asked by king313, A Rebel, Male, 29-35, Detroit, Civil Service

To paraphrase Betty Boop:

"...You, and nobody else but you...."

- Response by bytor, A Rebel, Male, 46-55, Pittsburgh, Artist / Musician / Writer

my hole only

- Response by jackstraw, A Life of the Party, Male, 36-45, Who Cares?

To me, just "dating" means you go out one-on-one with the other person regularly, but not strictly committed to each other and you are both free to go out with other people and explore other relationships.

Dating exclusively means that you have both agreed that the relationship has long-term potential and that both of you will not pursue other relationships.

- Response by saucywench, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Cincinnati, Other Profession

That you are only seeing and being intimate with the one other person. Excluding anyone else. Boyfriend and girlfriend.

- Response by hollaback63, A Creative, Female, 29-35, Charlotte, Administrative

Not dating anyone else, not sleeping with anyone else, not making out or hooking up with anyone else, not getting new chicks/guys phone numbers.

- Response by sohodutch, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, New York, Technical

Neither person is dating or having sex with any other person.

Means you and I date nobody else but each other.

- Response by rexy67, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

That we only see each other and do each other.

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Los Angeles, Other Profession

Exclusively means you are only dating that one person and no one else.

it means only being with that one person = )

- Response by dragonflyfairie, A Hippie Chick, Female, 29-35, Teaching

It means "no more punicchi on the side for you!"

;P

- Response by sweetness04, A Trendsetter, Female, 26-28, Artist / Musician / Writer

yours, heart body and soul

- Response by secilia, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, Athens, Body Work

Being with one person only!

- Response by lam0366, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 46-55, Administrative

it means you rolled out the red carpet and you two just busted out of the lime and now EVERYONE knows you two are an item. its now no secret. monogamous ? why but of course i hope.

- Response by crnbrdfed2002, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35, San Antonio, Who Cares?

Means that I won't be dating or having sex with anyone else.
And that he shouldn't be dating or having sex with anyone else either
Basically means that you are trying out monogomy so see if that one person fulfills all your needs so you can think about a future with them.......or not

- Response by Vickey69, A Married Girl, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

That your the only person dating her and your seeing no other girl. She seeing no other guy.

Ummmm... The promise to be "exclusive" is a promise I like to get from guys so the chances of my getting a disease will be lessened.

Unless I said the exact same thing back, I am just "dating" the guy who is dating ME exclusively. That means I am free to hook up with others, date others, and have fun.

Fortunately for me, men are so bad with details--they almost never catch it that I didn't say the same thing back; they ASSume that because I asked them to say it to ME, I mean it in regard to them. That is not always the case. It can BECOME the case, but it is not always the case. ;)

B**chy? Sure. But in the current dating market (and I mean market) it is pretty much every woman for herself. ;P

It means what it says. Exclusively dating someone means that you only date that person. Yes, you can have friends of the opposite sex, but you cannot take them out of a "date".

When I was younger, [read as pre-marital], I loved to dance, but my exclusive girlfriend was away at school, 150 miles away. She knew that I liked dancing, so she was cool with that. We had an understanding that I wasn't going to take anyone else home afterwards.

The word dating, means that you're trying different people out. You spend time with people that interest you. When you become serious with that person, and they with you, you make a committment to date exclusively. To exclude others from your dating pool. The person that violates that rule, cheats.

- Response by rhunt0210, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Other Profession

I think it means you only see each other.

- Response by ajeepgirl67, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Medical / Dental

It means I am yours and yours alone and you are mine and mine alone.

- Response by donau20, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 29-35, Artist / Musician / Writer

to me that means that I'm only dating that person and no one else.

all da perks off a girlfriend boyfriend situation just "no tittles" get it!!!!

- Response by sexucure, A Life of the Party, Female, 22-25, Philadelphia

it means being shackled to the insecure person who doesn't want you to have fun with anyone else but them

- Response by A Sportif, Female, 36-45

Electragold21's response highlighted that not everyone is being honest, playing fair or is on the same wavelength. I could see some guy asking her directly if her asking him if he will be exclusive means she is exclusive too and then her smiling and saying "You know how I feel" or "You know what I meant".

If someone says they love you with all their heart but they won't talk in detail about what the expectations are in the relationship (or they say one thing and do another) then they don't love you with all their heart. Exclusivity only means something when there is honesty, fairness and their actions are consistant with someone who sincerely feels the way they say they do.

Exclusivity to me means no dating and no kissing other women. Online status indicators say I am in a relationship and dating profiles must be hidden or deleted. I could hug a woman that initiated that but I wouldn't initiate it myself. I put distance between me and ex girlfriends. If an interested woman wants to date me I would tell her I am in a relationship and the most I would do is take her contact info and tell her I could only call if the relationship I was in ended. Exclusivity also means that all of this stuff has been talked about and agreed to.

- Response by bailarenfuego, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Technical

That is an oxymoron...you can't be dating and be exclusive also. Either you are dating or you are in a mutually inclusive relationship. Maybe that's what people find so confusing. They constantly use the wrong descriptors and then expect everyone to be on the same page.

- Response by joybird, A Career Woman, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

Sorry to ping your question again, King, but I see bailaren taking my name in vain.:)

People, in my world, are only not on the same page with me IF they do not ask the correct questions and, instead, make ASSumptions. If someone asks me flat out whether I consider MYSELF in an exclusive relationship with HIM, I will answer truthfully--and be a little tickled that he was savvy enough to ask instead of making a stupid assumption.

You see, I dislike men who assume that women are so happy to "get" them into an exclusive relationship that they ASSume because I asked for one that I mean it myself. I like men who do not ASSume this. It is my last and final criteria for being in an exclusive relationship with that person, actually. :)

Unfortunately, 99.9999% of men make stupid assumptions. :) That enables me to have fun on the dating market. I don't see myself as dishonest or as doing anything at all unfair. :)