My sister in law gets on my nerves, she's fake and a know it all, how should I handle, ignore?
Family & Parenting / 2:10 AM - Wednesday January 07, 2009

she is always trying to one up everyone with story's she thinks are better than yours, makes herself out to be the perfect daughter in law to in-laws which happen to be a pastor of his own church but actually gossips about others behind thier back, she really really gets under my skin, I try to ignore her but sometimes thats hard to do. This has been an ongoing issue for probably 15 years, I'm frustrated....Sometimes I wish we would just move away so we wouldn't have to put up with her....

.... OMG!!! I HAVE SUCH A STORY FOR YOU!!

...I have been with my boyfriend for years now, but he had to go to jail for awhile and me and his big sis became very close. She calls me her little sis, we would always go out, etc. But it didnt take long to start realizing how she really is...

she is JUST like her mother!! She talks about EVERYONE - shes super fake.. so much so that my own boyfriend (her younger bro) told me shes not really 'my friend, because shes fake'. I watch how she is with other people and cant think for a minute that shes not the same with me... I know shes just as phony with me and 2faced.

Shes the type that if you have a problem, she'll tell you a story about her life - trying to make herself seem so EXPERIENCED IN EVERY ASPECT OF LIFE and that shes gone thru everything so whatever your story/problem is, it couldnt possibly be as worse as hers. But "if she can get thru it - so can you". BLAH! I'm 6 yrs younger than her, but I am not stupid... I do know A LOT of things but everything I know - is wrong in her eyes and she has to one-up me (just like you mentioned in your situation) by telling me i'm wrong... ETC. ETC.

Me & My boyfriend plan to get married soon so she'll be my sister-in-law for real, I already try ignoring her. NOW she only calls me when she wants something or needs me for something... I always tell her I'm busy. If this is your in-law then your pretty much stuck with her unfortunately!!

the best you can do is keep her at a distance! I try to stay away from family functions unless my b/f wants me/we have to go. I dont talk to her much anymore or hold LONG Conversations with her either. 2 topics I learned me and her can NEVER have conversations about are POLITICS & RELIGION!! She completely gets ignornant and tries to argue you down and force her opinions on you just because SHE believes them! I wouldnt suggest being rude to her, just dont be fake or sociable with her that much... keep it neutral. She'll get the picture.

After I cut mine out of my life... she started calling asking me where I've been and "she hasnt heard from me in awhile, whats wrong with me" etc... I just dont feel like dealing with ANY of the DRAMA!! The PROPER -ADULT LIKE thing to do would be to have a talk with her about why we dont associate/talk like normal anymore... BUTTTT I've figured out it's not worth it, shes no benefit to me, & shes not the type of person I can have "ADULT" conversations with like that -without it getting ugly. So forget it. The absence of me and HER relationship isnt going to effect her brother being with me or not SO I DONT NEED HER.

You can either talk to this in-law or keep her at a distance like I do mine. GOOD LUCK! IM SURE YOU NEED IT! LOL.

- Response by mrshopkins, A Creative, Female, 26-28, Self-Employed

You lasted for 15 yrs.You can do it.Turn your back to the wind.Continue to disregard the self important in law.

My lady she is just a control freak that has to be better than most but whats so sad is that her life is probably miserable and she needs this to build her ego but at what price will she pay to keep doing what she does to people, it wont be long that she will be single and alone and it will be all her fault,,just sit back and watch her destruction as it unfolds, remember what goes around comes around!!

- Response by ptawillis, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, Medical / Dental

much better if you console her about what she's trying to do.. talk to her so you will know why she doing that to you ..

- Response by loveisagiftofgod, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

I totally understand where you are coming from.I just recently got married and my husbands family hasn't really been all that welcoming.My brother in laws wife is uppidy too.I have tried everything to get to know her and she just basically ignores me unless we're in front of our in laws and then shes the perfect little daughter in law..Its so aggravating! she talks bad about our mother in law behind her back but when in person,shes just so bubbly and perfect in front of our in laws..ticks me off.My in laws are now living in the same city as us and I am so disappointed about it because I know the stress that they cause my hubby and I.He was excited to see them tonight and they basically blew him off for his younger brother.I dont really understand why they couldnt all get together to welcome them back but whatever.the SIL is so annoying,shes going to school for psychology and her and I dont really get along..she looks down her nose at me.Cant stand it..I have to say I dont really know what to tell you as I am in the same boat and I am not sure what to do..I would distant myself but at the same time this is my hubbys family and I dont ever want him to feel like he cant see them whenever..I guess my question is..is it wrong to not go to all the family get togethers??
I wish you the best..Fake people get on my nerves fast.

- Response by An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, Artist / Musician / Writer

I tend to ignore people like that as much as possible! They aren't worth my time!

- Response by lacey07, A Life of the Party, Female, Who Cares?, Other Profession

Just smile and nod like the story is interesting and at the same time your thinking what your gonna have to do tomorrow

- Response by phatmama2003, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Boston, Who Cares?