Underage drinking at house parties
Friendship / 7:43 PM - Friday December 26, 2008

Underage drinking at house parties

My of age roommate and i want to throw an 80s party we've been talking about. We have two other roommates, both underage. we said they can be there but cannot invite other friends unless they are 21. We live in a college town and the police here are dirty. have taken people outside of their house and given a public intox, etc. My roommates insist that we would not get in trouble. I KNOW we would--distributing alcohol to a minor. and this party will attract some attention. My roomies said its only if you are under 18, i call bullshist. I am trying to find a law online that states the fine, etc for this but am having trouble finding exactly what i need. any iowans here? she is throwing a fit and i am tired of looking like the bad guy and putting up with her. she thinks SHE owns the place, and she does not. Help please?

- Asked by jasmine27, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Other Profession

TOO, TOO, Risky. Your worried about a fine? You could end up in jail for this. This not smart at all. If you want to look for somehting online check out how many underage drinkers die from alcohol poisoning each year. If your providing the alcohol you can and will be held responsible. Even if you did get away with a fine. EVERY employer today does a background check and even a minor arrest can ruin your future career. Bottom line don't do it. It's not worth the risk.

- Response by recess70, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Houston, Consulting

Here's the rule of thumb with underage drinking. I have more experience as an underage drinker than as a legal one! It's OK to attend parties like this, but NOT throw them! You WILL get in trouble for this, especially if you live in a college town. If she insist on throwing the party, I would strongly suggest getting out of town for the night. Go to your parents house and spend some time there if they don't live too far away.

- Response by sunshinehighway, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, New York, Medical / Dental

PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! DO NOT SERVE UNDERAGE PEOPLE AT YOUR PARTY....YOU ARE LIABLE IF THEY GET HURT OR KILL SOMEONE!!!!

This very thing has just happened to my girlfriend's cousin. The cousin was underage and drinking at a friend's house over Thanksgiving holiday. She was driven home by another underage guest that had been drinking too. They got into an accident and she was killed. The PEOPLE THROWING THE PARTY are being sued as well as the driver. PLEASE STAND BY YOUR GUN ON THIS!!!

- Response by zibet58, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Teaching

You can go to jail for serving minors alcohol if you are the host of the party. It's YOUR pary and If they can't abide by the rules, then they shouldn't be invited either. They can spend the time in their rooms or away from the house.

Just call the desk sargent at your local police station.

- Response by trhjr1, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Retired

If you are unsure, call the non-emergency number of the local police station. They will probably be very happy to help you stay OUT of trouble.

- Response by buffalothighs88, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65, Other Profession

I would play it safe and not let even the roomies there if they are under age. Don't take a chance on breaking the lsw. You could regret it.

- Response by mrsjack, A Thinker, Female, 66 or older

Well I think your right and your friend is wrong. That over 18 but under 21 rule applys to parents serving there kids drinks not a young adult like yourself. Bars get big tickets because of this if you dont get arrested you could get like $300.00 ticket depending on your state. Cops do sting operations and they wanted me to do one on a bar but I was working. They can also lose there licenses.

One time when I was 20 and in college (legal age 21) my roommate and I held a housewarming keg party at a house we just rented. About midnight some noisy neighbors got tired of the noise and phoned the cops. The cop coming in the front said he had reports of a party in a vacant house. As I was showing him my ID and the rent receipts he asked if anyone was drinking. I told him "we're serving cokes and apple juice, but some older guests brought their own beverages." Just as I finished saying that, the other cop comes back from the kitchen and says, "Hey Joe, they got a keg out here in the back."

Well, he didn't have a search warrant, and had established that we had rented the house. So he suggested that we call it a night and send the party home -- which we did.

I used to figure if the cops didn't come to my parties at least once a year I wasn't throwing much of a party.

We never got arrested though. They just chased off all the underage drunks and ended the parties.

Most police in a college town try very hard not to arrest anyone for drinking.

my general rule. I never host.
First destruction to my shit.
Eating my food. etc.

Second it depends on how underage.
I dont see anything wrong with it but dont host the party. Not worth the agravation especially seeing as your the responsible one.

- Response by hockeykid666, A Guy Critical, Male, 26-28, Toronto, Student

idk about where you live but where i live the cops just come and tell you to leave. thats it and i live in a big college town.

- Response by californa08, A Trendsetter, Female, 22-25, Student

It seems to me that it is not unreasonable for you to have a party and protect yourself by not having ANYONE under 21 there, including your roommates. Any other way would just be inviting trouble. I garuantee they'll drink and if caught, you'll get the blame and the fine or jail time. I's reasonable for you to return the avor by letting them have a time without you.
I have found that when someone wants to borrow something; you can tell if you'll get it back in one piece or at all by the way they ask for it. If they beg, make a big deal out of it, and promise to pay for it if it gets broken; they will tear it up or steal it and will not pay for it. They'll just shrugg their shoulders and say: sorry. I don't think this is any different. I think they are selfish party animals and are going to get you in trouble.If it were me, I'd tell them not to be there or I'm going to call the authorities or thier parents. If not, I wouldn't risk the trouble.
The 80's party sounds fun. Maybe you can find a safer place to have it.

- Response by johnbo, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Who Cares?

I just read some laws, and I'm not sure if they apply to you... because i don't know what state your in, but your roommates are allow to attend (because their residents of the house, and the hosts are both legal age) the underagers are actually not allowed to drink or possess alcohol in any way and could be charged if they do.. You however wouldn't be responsible for them (I dont think) however if they're underage friends are there, your the host and violated the law by inviting them, if they show up and you do not try to have them removed you can face charges should the police get involved..the age 18 thing is only for being able to serve alcohol at bars, they are still not allowed to possess (for intention of drinking) or be intoxicated!

- Response by experienced123, A Creative, Female, 26-28, Administrative

It is natural to feel like the bad guy, but I strongly believe that you could possibly save yourself worry and negative results if you go through with it...she may be angry at you for not allowing it, but it could be well worth it if you did not go through with it for you are looking out for her and if I were your friend, I would not ask for anything less but to be a true friend. Stand your ground, you are doing the right thing! You would be a great role model...being responsible! (on the 'think she own the place' she need a wake-up call, her mind is still impressionable).

- Response by truesilky, A Thinker, Female, 46-55

I dont know Iowa law, but i DO know that you could get hit with Contributing to ths deliquency of a minor, so cover your own butt

- Response by wallvis, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 66 or older, Retired