Do people say what they really mean when they are drunk?
Dating / 7:51 AM - Monday December 15, 2008

Every now and again, my girlfriend has an intolerance to white wine and this can result in a memory loss of several hours and a character change.

She can remember things to a certain point and then it is ALL a blank until the following morning when I fill in some of the things that have happened.

Often, she is devistated at the way she has acted, treated people and spoken to others, often not remembering a thing.

Occasionally, she will talk absolute rubbish to me and become very angry that I do not understand what she is talking about and then start a personal verbal attack on me.

I have learned not to argue back when she is in this "zone", not to take what she says seriously and to be sure that I inform her of what she has said to others in order that she can apologise for her behaviour.

The following morning she feels remorseful and angry at herself and on the odd occasion when I have told her that she has told me to f**k off, she is beside herself with guilt.

I find it really hard to argue / discuss things with someone who looks like the person you love and sounds like the person you love yet acts like a complete stranger when drunk and you are stone cold sober.

I love her very much and she has admitted that she has a problem and is going to do something about it as she is fearful of upsetting her kids, friends and me (not necissarily in that order).

Any advice?

well, shes admitting she has a problem and is going to do something about it, thats good. encourage her to go to AA, personal counseling, web sites etc.
its impossible to talk to someone who is drunk, they don't know what they're saying or doing, but they are still responsible for what they do and say, because most times it hurts alot of other people and sometimes, well, many times will break up the relationship.

- Response by daffodils2008, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Medical / Dental

You have to remember that alcohol is a mind altering drug, thus making the person using it also altered, they are not themselves but usually are very honest and crybaby like or are tirant and abusive, the best thing you can do when she is like this is to say nothing or try to reason with her, because it is not her and yes if she is drinking to much there is a problem, like the old saying instant A-hole just add alcohol!!get a Vidio camera and tape her when she is like this and show it to her after she has sobered up, she will see herslf and it may embarras her to stop!!

- Response by ptawillis, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, Medical / Dental

she needs to stay as far away from that drink as possible. Drunks have no idea of what they are saying or talking about. The alcohol has numbed the brain and they just rattle on and on and on or are in a complete blackout and do and say theings they will not have the faintest idea of what was said or done. Once they get this far drinking, it is time to quit alcoholism is the next step.