My cat has worms....
Pets / 8:38 PM - Monday December 08, 2008

My cat has worms....

I was petting her, she turned around, and I saw what looks like pieces of rice on her butt.. So I know I gotta get her to the vet and get the meds.. BUT in the meantime.. is it contagious to the other animals (another cat & poodle)? Should I be concerned for any reason about the humans? Do i need to get rid of anything? to make it worse.. shes prego? Does that affect anything?

Thank you all for your replies.. you pretty much all said the same thing.. I will be calling the vet in the morning.. my poor baby! She didnt even seem to care tho!! and we would have noticed if it was in the litter box.. so I think it just started. She got out not long ago (how shes prego) so Im assuming she ate a flea during that time.. UGH!

- Asked by dizzy3984, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Philadelphia, Self-Employed

yes, humans can get some parasites that animals carry. Take her to the vet asap to get rid of them. Vacuum the carpets, clean the floors, wash your hands ALOT. Humans can get pin worms, tape worms, hook worms, ring worms (which is a fungus, but comes from cat feces in dirt) and other things animals seem to get. Don't panic. Just be cautious. She'll be fine and so will you.

Tape worms. No need for you to panic WHATSOEVER. Take her to the vet..they will give you pills. No big deal AT ALL. Just be clean and use common sense. That comes from FLEAS - period. Control the fleas and you won't have a tapeworm issue.

- Response by bikerchick1, A Life of the Party, Female, 36-45, Atlanta, Financial / Banking

This is everything about tapeworms:

Is the worms kinda flat looking in addition to the rice looking peice? If so then it is tape worms. you can save yourself a Vet expence by calling your regualar vet and telling them you KNOW she has tapeworms and you need medicing for it. if u are a regualr at this vet, then they should fill a script for you and u can just pay for that rather than the additional vet bill. I've been thru this damn ring of hell a few times.

**There is the ONLY way an animal can get tapeworms (there are other kinds, but tapeworm is obvious to what it is) The process starts with a flea, the animal (humans too) will ingest a flea (dogs/cats) usually while grooming themselves. This one flea has the tapeworm in it already. It only can start with a flea that already has tapeworms - NO OTHER WAY! Then after the flea in ingested, about 6 weeks later you will notice small flat rice looking things in the poo or on there butt. These are actually sac of "eggs" for new tapeworms to be made. This sac willl release into your yard or house and then crack open when ready. Then a flea will stop by, ingest one of the egg's and then an animal will eat the flea and u go ROUND AND ROUND.

Yes, you will have to watch all your animals for tapeworms - but more importantly, u will have to watch for FLEA'S. I had a bad spell of them from the loevly dog park and found that NONE of the drop products worked on my dog (dry skin) - After months and months of searching, I have found a pill that I give my dog every 4-6 weeks called Comfortis. It works great! I have not seen one flea on my dog since she started taking this and I know they are in my apartment complex grounds as I have heard of other people dealing with them.

If u don't get rid of the fleas you will not be able to get rid of the tapeworms. Like I said earlier, once they ingest the flea, it takes 6 weeks for the tapeworm to show in the poop. the tapeworm takes some time to latch itself onto the animals intestines/stomach and then grow AND THEN let out these little sacs.

The good news about tapeworms is that they are not life threatening right off the bat. You can wait till ur next paycheck to get to the vet. I've heard of pets living a year+ with a tapeworm and making it ok. But remember the whole time they have it, they will not be healthy and my get very irritable.

But onto the kittens. I am not sure if momma cat can pass them onto the babies, but I would not be suprised at all if that will happen.

Keep me posted as to how ur lil guys are doing!

- Response by audbal82, A Career Woman, Female, 29-35, Tampa, Science / Engineering

Hi Anonymous,

Yes, worms are contagious. Wash your hands very well, and very frequently.

Not sure about how this affects her pregnancy, if at all.

Rougemarie.

- Response by rougemarie, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

Yes,they are contagious to all,including humans.Wear gloves when cleaning the cat litter box and keep the other animals away.Dogs are notorious for eating kitty candy bars.

- Response by justme38271, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 46-55, Consulting

Awwww How sad.... But last year my worm had cats!

Pls. get her to the vet first thing in the a.m. How does a pet (not a stray) get worms (AND) pregnant. Our pets are dependent on us to keep them healthy. I think you need to do a better job caring for your Pet or find a better home for it. What a mess !!~

- Response by bonairelibra, A Hippie Chick, Female, 46-55, Self-Employed