Wedding announcements
Family & Parenting / 8:35 PM - Sunday November 30, 2008

wedding announcements

Before a senior graduates from high school, they send out announcements-not invitations. Basically the 'send me money' card.

Can I do this for my wedding? Is it appropriate? I cant afford to invite my entire family not to mention more then half of them couldnt afford the traveling expenses anyway.

However, I do want to annouce it to everyone. Are there such announcements? Im sure I can make them somewhere if not, but is it tacky? What if I were to slip a, 'The lovebirds are registered at Target' sticker into the announcement? :)

- Asked by fallingalive, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

from miss manners:

A wedding announcement is a printed card announcing that the couple has been married. Much like an invitation, it includes the names of the bride and groom, the date of their marriage and sometimes the names of their parents.
When do you send wedding announcements?
Wedding announcements are completely optional. Often people choose to send wedding announcements when they have had a small wedding or when they have eloped. A wedding announcement is used to tell someone who was not invited to the wedding that you have gotten married.
When should wedding announcements be sent?

Generally, wedding announcements should be mailed right after the wedding. It is even acceptable to mail them on the day of the wedding, although not prior to it. If you are going to be away on your honeymoon, consider preparing announcements prior to the wedding and leaving them with a family member or friend to be mailed right after the ceremony.
Is it okay to include a picture of the couple in the announcement?

Some couples are choosing to wait a few days to send their announcements so they may include a small photograph from their wedding. This is a nice touch and is perfectly acceptable as long as it does not delay sending the announcement by more than a week or two.

What is the proper way to address wedding announcements?

Just like wedding invitations, the envelopes for wedding announcements should be handwritten. You may handwrite them yourself, or hire a calligrapher to do it for you. It is acceptable to have the envelopes printed if the printing looks like handwriting, but it is not considered proper to use address labels.

Are people expected to send a gift when they receive a wedding announcement?

A wedding announcement is simply intended to tell people about the marriage. The couple should not expect gifts when they send announcements; it is not customary or necessary for the recipient of an announcement to send one. However, it is always acceptable to send a gift if you would like to do so.

What is the proper wording for a wedding announcement?

Wedding announcements can be written in a variety of forms. Some sample wordings for announcements follow:

Announcement by the parents of the bride:

Mr. and Mrs. John Jones

are pleased to announce the marriage of their daughter

Kitty Jones

to

Mr. Bob Roberts

on the Saturday, the fourth of January

two thousand and five

in Laguna Beach, California

- Response by galdeen, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Administrative

An announcement is not at all tacky.

Slipping a "the lovebirds are registered at Target' sticker is EXTREMELY tacky. Unless they are invited to the wedding or the shower, you never solicit gifts.

- Response by myndseye711, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35

Be very careful because your desire for gifts from people you have no intention of inviting may backfire. Now they know about the wedding and may expect that shortly after the "announcement" they will receive a wedding invitation. When they do not get one they may speak with others who are invited and feel very badly that they were not invited but that they were solicited for a gift.
I do feel it lacks tact and also seems like begging for gifts.

- Response by aoluserchick, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Consulting

I say go for it! Just send an announcement, a just letting you know kind of thing, and definitely slip the target sticker in there. Some people will send gifts, others cards of congrats. Either way, you will be letting them know that you are getting married and from there it is their choice. Putting the sticker in there stops all the "where are you registered" calls you are bound to get if you don't include it. Goodluck and Congratulations.

- Response by jennmay84, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Other Profession

I think that's rude and kinda selfish. Put it in their local newspaper if you just want to make an "announcement." If you're gifting hunting just say so.

- Response by An Alternative Girl, Female, 36-45, Other Profession