Wordy sentences with BIG words driving me crazy!!!
Dating / 9:07 AM - Friday November 28, 2008

wordy sentences with BIG words driving me crazy!!!

Does it really annoy you when people use really big words when a much simplier word would do the trick. How about when the person uses really big words and his sentences are very wordy.. even when we chat online he types in complete sentences with way to many words and the biggest words possible...

I asked him why and if he was trying to impress me. He said it is because he is very proud of his vocabulary and thinks it is fun to try really hard and speak at a higher level. He says if he has respect for someone he will speaks at a higher level....

It is turning me off, yet I love smart men?? WFT

Advice, comments??

He is trying to impress you. While a nice vocabulary is nice you can always tell when people are using long words because they are more precise and specific or just because they are showing off. Showing of is actually a form of overcompensation and immaturity. OTOH complete sentences are always nice:)

- Response by A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35, Boston

I have an uncle that does the same thing. "Perchance we can meet up and socialize or converse as I haven't seen you since you were a small child of" you get the drift. It drives me crazy too. I chalk his up to being career military and a retired colonel. UGH

- Response by barrelmom, A Sportif, Female, 46-55, Indianapolis, Transportation

Since he's doing it as a source of pride and a level of perceived respect, it would annoy me to. I'd wonder what he's trying to overcompensate for and whether or not he uses shallow things to 'judge' people. It could be fun for him but if people can't relate to him, then he loses the whole point.

I'd give it some time because you could learn to overlook it and deal with it b/c other things in his personality were acceptable. But if it keeps bothering you then you are probably going to end it. Time will tell...

It really does depend on what a big word is to you also. He may have a great vocab and not even think so many of the words should be considered big. I used the word filament with someone who thought I was talking about nuts. I think that would be filbert.

- Response by aoluserchick, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Consulting

If English is his primary language that would be annoying...however..if it's not...then he might just be proud of his large sentences. I know myself...granny was English..and I butcher sentences just to annoy her! If you love smart men and it's turnin you off then it could be cause it's not sincere...maybe...

- Response by gruntgirl, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Atlanta, Celebrity

Sometime people are in a certain situation and use those words on a daily basis and it difficult to change your language patterns when you are not in those situations. Tryng to impress people with what you know, usually backfires, especially if the other person doesn't have the same knowledge level.

wtf? if he annoys you, don't speak to him, but since you got hooked up, maybe it's not so annoying to you after all...think again.

- Response by A Guy Critical, Female, 36-45