How do I tell my boyfriend I might be pregnant?
Sex & Intimacy / 1:07 PM - Saturday November 15, 2008

how do I tell my boyfriend I might be pregnant?

I'm 18 and I might be pregnant. My period is a week late. I'm getting a test later today. How do I tell my boyfriend? He's 24. But I think he is less mature than I am. What are my options? I don't want to quit college, but I might have to if I am going to raise a baby.

P.S. I am on Birth control and use condoms. So, please don't try to ask me if they sell condoms in my neighborhood or tell me to make an appointment at planned parenthood if I'm not. I've seen comments like that before for other people,so please. It's the last thing I need to hear right now.

Update: November 17, 2008.
I got a test Saturday afternoon. It was negative. I still haven't gotten my period, so there is probably some other reason behind it... I have an appointment with my doctor on Wednesday. Thank you all for the great advice. For those of you who put thought into your responses, it helped a lot. Some others kind of hurt my feelings (you can see in the ratings)... Thanks for your time and effort!!!

When I was 16 I had my first real boyfriend, and he was my first, anyway, at one point I thought I was also pregnant, but I wasn't. I was 2 weeks late with my period, or longer, so you may not be pregnant. Try to stop worrying so much, cause that will only make it later. But since you are going to take a test, you will know for sure. If you aren't, well, thank God. LOL. If you are, it doesn't mean that you have to drop out of college if you decide to keep the baby. It isn't the end of everything for you. You seem like you have a good head on your shoulders, so I think you can manage to do college a little longer, and after you have the baby, stay off a while to recover and get daycare, or a babysitter. I am sure you have family and I am sure they would love to help so that you can better yourself for you child and self.
Now, about telling your boyfriend. Wait til you find out for sure. Then let him know. If he wants to help, then great. That will come in handy when you need money for daycare or babysitters, and with raising your baby. Trust me, I know it seems like your life is over, but it isn't. There are so many women and young ladies as yourself that are going to school and raising their children. I have three now, and I am planning on going back to school. I wish I had went when I finished school, but I hated school, and thought that it was a miracle that I made it to graduation. My parents didn't really say anything to me to make me want to go. They did my brothers, but not me. I don't know why, maybe if they had, I might have went, but I didn't. Anyway, back to you. You can do this. And if your boyfriend is willing to help, it will be easier. If not, don't worry. You can still do this.
Don't be mad at yourself or your boyfriend for this happening. Things like this happen. Like they say, everything happens for a reason. This is God showing you how strong you really are. A test to show you how strong you are.
Please, let me know how things are going with all of this.
Good Luck, and I hope things work out great for you.

- Response by summerlysnow, A Cool Mom, Female, 36-45, Home Maker

You are wrong, the lectures are exactly what you need gto hear. You are jumping to a conclusion that by your own testament cannot possibly be the culprit. You need to focus on the other possibilities such as an infection, a blockage,. Another health issue that you aren't thinking of. Stress will cause a late menstruation, worry will, all manner of things will. You need to see your doctor and stop jumping to conclusions that you can plainly see are not possibilities.

- Response by agesago, A Cool Mom, Female, 56-65, Transportation

Don't jump to comclusions yet. There are many reasons why "AUNT FLO" has not come to visit yet.....

Certain medications, too much acticity (exercise), illness, stress, changes in diet, hormones fluctuations (like from BCP), and other factors acan cause your period to be late.

It was not uncommon for mine to be up to 2 weeks late, even when not being sexually active....

Get the test. Don't freak out yet because you do not know for sure. And telling him prematurely and then having to explain later that you were wrong will be diffcult for both of you.

- Response by iowaczechartist, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

Of course you tell him. You both have some important decisions to make together. Do you have this child? Do put the child up for adoption? Do you attempt to raise? There are pros and cons to all these issues. Don't assume your BF will be there, though he may say it now. If you have the child, be ready to raise it on your own.

You need to have a major reality check and not live in a dream world. Good luck.

- Response by cubbiegal, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Chicago, Administrative

NOT BEING A PRO....and only going from what I have shared with S/O in the past.......there are many reasons to be a week late.

UNLESS you are very regular with your period....and you have all the dates exactly right.......I would advise to chill and just think positive. Your body can go thru changes and adjustments for many reasons. Stress and diet and many, many other things being male, does not privy me to. HECK..just plain FEMALE BIOLOGY is tough enough.toss in the psychological and such...you gals can work up a sweat and issues that come from I don't know where !!!!

It could just be the fact that you had sex..and that has been grinding on your mind and thus affecting you physically too.

Wait for the test....and go from there. There are options after that too. Like adoption. Just relax and give all options consideration.

GOOD LUCK......hope the news is what you want.

- Response by nuttyprofessor, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Transportation

You do not have to quit college to raise a baby, just a few best friends and even possibly family to help out with the coping of this, and also if a couple of friends could help with baby sitting while you are at school that would be great! Day care centers usually take babies that are 6 wks of age, so please don't quit school! You do not need a man to raise a child, many have done this with great success! Your child will have a much better life with a mother who is college degreed and has a better paying job. Pray about it ( assuming you believe in God?), and everything always works out even when in your head you don't think it will. If you don't want to raise a child there is always a woman who can't have a child and desperately wants one, so don't forget about adoption. (also, you can always count on Anjelina and Brad, LOL!) seriously though you can go to college pregnant and you always have options that work out for the greater good! God Bless and take care of yourself!

I don't know where you live, but I'm in New Orleans and I don't work so I could babysit at any hour for you to go to your classes. I have 3 boys 18, 12, and 4 and they would love to have another baby around! Just remember that there is always help available and God will put someone in your path that will help you out!

- Response by hooker, A Life of the Party, Female, 36-45, New Orleans, Retired

First of all don't get yourself all worked up until you know for sure. If you are positive you are, then you just have to sit him down and tell him. It's his responsibility too, so you will both need to discuss what the best course of action is. Weigh the pros and cons before making a decision, and do what is best for you and what coincides with your beliefs. Raising children isn't easy or cheap, especially at your age (I'm not preaching, trust me. I had my first child two weeks before I turned 20. I was married over a year by then, but still, it's hard when you're young). It's a tough decision, but not impossible. Nothing happens without a reason, even if you don't see the reason right now. If you were using birth control regularly and using a condom every time, then this was definitely meant to be. Good luck!

- Response by purplebreeze, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Atlanta, Medical / Dental

If the test is positive you have these options which do not take into consideration one way or the other if the father is involved. 1. Do nothing. 2. Adoption. 3. Abortion. 4. Stay in school and have the baby. 5. Drop out of school and go on welfare or get some kind of financial aid. When you tell your boyfriend, it doesn't matter how you tell him, his reaction will let you know how mature he is. If the test is negative you have worried yourself for a good reason, use a different form of birth control other than condoms.

- Response by rockysprings, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Retail

No, hon, he's not "less mature" than you are. That's obvious from the way you write. You're 18 and that means your 18.

Being a week late is not unusual for many women. If you are actually doing the birth control you tell us about, and not skipping pills, then you probably aren't pregnant. 1 week is much too soon to tell if you are. Don't make a big ruckus about it already.

Don't tell him until you know for sure. And if it is a positive just invite him over and break the news. There is no simpler way with something like this, you just have to blurt it out.

- Response by 1sassychic, A Married Girl, Female, 36-45, Student

your options are,have a baby or dont have a baby.

- Response by scumpig45, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Las Vegas, Celebrity