Infected hangnail
Sex & Intimacy / 10:08 PM - Monday October 27, 2008

infected hangnail

i picked at a hangnail last week and now my finger is really tender and swollen, what should i do with an infected hangnail?

i dont want to go to the ER for something this minor because it'll cost me $hundreds$

Update: October 27, 2008.
thanks for helping, i'll go buy some peroxide and neosporin tomorrow... it really hurts just typing this, it's my left middle finger if u care to know

- Asked by peermey, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, Dallas, Who Cares?

Neosporin and a band aid should work

- Response by cathymd50, A Creative, Female, 56-65, Administrative

ummm....man up. Its a hang nail for christ sake.

- Response by blueyedame, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Indianapolis, Who Cares?

Soak it in some hot water and Epson salt, rinse with Hydrogen peroxide and maybe put a little Neosporin on it. Don't put a bandage on it. Leave the wound open to the air. It should start to feel better in a day or two.

- Response by cosmicdog0, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65, Denver, Science / Engineering

hydrogen peroxide

- Response by movi, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Administrative

Spend a few bucks. Go to the pharmacy and get some antibacterial ointment. Then go home and soak the offended finger in water as hot as you can stand it for about five minutes. Let it air dry, apply the ointment and a loose bandage for protection. Do the same in the morning and again at night and it should be all better.

rekkonball

PS: Even my Doctor is getting in the swing of homeopathic remedies.

Put some triple antibitic oinment on it.neosprin.

- Response by bluebird300, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Pittsburgh, Farming

better hundreds now, that thousands to put your finger back on.

- Response by getfukkd, A Guy Critical, Male, 26-28, Other Profession

peroxide and bandaid and neosporin

- Response by busyb704, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

your kidding??/ soak it in acetone or in cider(in side her)

- Response by pepperman46, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55

You're a guy?....and a Texan?

ok.....slowly back away and turn off the computer and we''ll all forget that you asked this question....deal?

- Response by An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Who Cares?

Pour some peroxide over it, w/sanitized nail clippers (smaller version) gently clip as close as you can to the cuticle and then apply a generous amount of neosporin to the infected area.

- Response by msgg, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Managerial

I had the same thing with a pus pocket. I went to the dr. The used a sterile needle to drain the pus. Told me to soak it in hot water to drain the infection and put me on antibiotics. It is not a laughing matter and it hurt like hell. I hope you have found some relief.

- Response by mary890, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Minneapolis

to those who choose to make light of the infected hangnail... "grow up!!" Here's a little insight for you: "If a hangnail gets a staph infection it can actually cause you to lose that finger, or, at worst, lead to blood poisoning which can kill you"...so, to all you smart alecs who think this person is overacting, i hope you get to experience a similar painful condition on your finger or toe so that you can say "ah, yes, now i understand!! As for treatment, peroxide and neosporin can help but if it is truly infected antibiotics may be needed to clear the infection up...it is not being a wimp to visit your doctor to get a staph infection treated, ok?

- Response by britgalrn, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Medical / Dental

I have this same problem. and good job to those who actually had an intelligent answer to the question. BLUEYEDAME... you actually disgust me. i couldnt help but click on your picture when i read your stupidity of a comment. You're old and disgusting. the photos you put up are gross and not hot. Its pathetic how you have the time to answer a question about a hangnail. Grow up. you're in your 50's, start acting like it

- Response by ellenjb2, A Thinker, Female, 26-28