Doctors asking for ss# and/or driver's license?
Sex & Intimacy / 8:47 PM - Thursday September 11, 2008

To my knowledge in U.S.'s 50 states, there's no law preventing doctors from asking for ss# or driver's license in case they can't get ss#. However, they don't need this info because insurance companies have waken up to the issue of privacy demand so they can just use insurance ID #.
My experience, at doctor's office, has been if you don't provide your social security number, then they will ask you to present your driver's license.
How do you handle this issue to maximize protection of your privacy?
I am going to pay them, and I can understand that they will say they need that info for insurance processing (which is becoming less and less the case), and to ensure payment. I do not trust HIPPA. If they accidentally lose my ss# or driver's license #, and someone gets hold of it, it's very difficult to prove who was at fault.
How do you handle the doctor's office asking for your social security number and/or driver's license?

- Asked by jaycap, A Career Man, Male, 36-45

Contact your local state attorney;s office or the attorney general's office in your state for clarification

I understand your concern about your SS#, and yes, many insurance companies now use IDs other than your ss#.

But I work at a medical center within a very large hospital. We ask for SS#, birthdate, middle initial and so forth, to be sure we don't confuse the patients. We tell the patients that they don't have to give us the number on the phone but need to when they come into the office for their appointment.

Believe me, people go ballistic if their records are confused with someone else's with the same name, different DOB and we can get terminated over not patients being confused. We have to have identifiers as they call them.

When we have a new patient coming in we call other facilities medical record departments and they ask us the first, last name, middle initial if they have it, DOB, ss#. I don't know anyone who uses drivers license #, and we just aren't set up that way.

Maybe someday we will use other identifiers, but at this time we use the ss#. Not everyone drives or has a drivers license.

Regarding the insurance companies, if there is a question on the policy number or group number, they ask for the social security number.

However, we are very careful about peoples privacy, have to shred every piece of paper with patient information (other than their chart). We have privacy shields on our computers, can't give information on the phone except to the patient, family members or friends they've okay'd with us.

This probably isn't an issue at a small doctor's office, but is at a large facility.

If anyone at our facility attempts to look up information on a patient who isn't a patient of their doctor, department, it is tracked and they are terminated. No questions asked. No excuses.

Hope this helps. I give my information to doctor's/dentists offices.

- Response by lasuz, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Administrative

There is nothing to keep anyone from asking for any information. But nothing says you have to give it to them. If they get offensive, inform them that you are going down the street to the next doctor.

Good question.
1.When we call the insurance companies from our office,they always ask for SS#,very very rare case the ID # works.So we need that.
2.As far as ID theft goes,it take 2 minutes on the internet to find any info that you need about someone.It is a piece of cake to take over someone's identity.It is not only in dental or medical offices.your SS# is everywere.
3.We had to spend thousand and thousands of dollars to become HIPPA compliance and have pass words everywere.My staff sometimes think that it is too much and if somebody wants to use your ID,HIPPA or no HIPPA,it is very easy for them to do it.
How about the bank workers,the credit card company workers,the loan companies,...There are too many people that have access to our info.
My husband just got as letter saying that one employee from our loan company sold his info to someone and they offered free credit monitoring for a year to him.

- Response by pisic, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Medical / Dental

This why I think there doing it.

I live in Maryland and today 10/15 I saw my doctor and the lady asked for my drivers license. I didn't ask why, I just gave it to her. She didn't scan it, she typed in my driver license ID number.

In my opinion, I don't think this has anything to do with Identity theft at all. I believe it has something to do with the prescription drug monitoring program (PDMP). In MD, VA, PA & WV when you are prescribed a controlled substances such as hydrocodone), oxycodone pain medication mainly is what this program is for. When you are at the pharmacy in these states you have to show your ID before picking them up, they then type in your driver ID and what medication your picking up. From there your information goes into a database for all the major pharmacies to see. This programs purpose is to catch the folks who have more than one doctor, and getting narcotic meds from both or you get your narcotic meds from your family doctor then drive to another state to the ER and get another narcotic medication so if you try to fill both it will flag the pharmacist not to fill it, then this information goes back to your doctor. The data base is now live in VA,WV,MD & PA. So don't try to do it. I asked the Pharmacist one day why they were asking for our ID when picking up medications, she said they wanted to know it was actually you who was picking it up LOL, so I already knew it was a lie and they are not suppose to tell there customers there doing this. Also, if you do it Law Officials could get involved. So stick by the rules.

- Response by A Career Man, Male, 36-45

- Response by chevyfan2013, A Career Man, Male, 36-45