Should a child be allowed to call an adult a liar?
Family & Parenting / 10:31 AM - Sunday September 07, 2008

Do you think it is alright for a child to call an adult a liar?

The reason I ask this question is while visiting my daughter her son said that something she said was a lie. I told him that he should not call his mother a liar and it was not nice. My daughter's husband was present and gave me kind of a dirty look. My daughter told her husband that during that as she was growing up was a no-no. And if he let their son think he is allowed to do so, he is setting up a scenario where their son will embarras HIM when out in public. Her husband said their son was calling it as he see's it. It bothered me that he condoned his son calling his mother a liar. This child is only 5 years old.

- Asked by anca, A Thinker, Female, 56-65

No, it isnt right at all. Whats worse is the father is teaching the son they can take sidea AGAINST the mother. Recipe for disaster.

- Response by blueyedame, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Indianapolis, Who Cares?

Its always rude for anyone to call someone a liar.

Children should respect their elders.

These days few parents teach their children how to behave.

Yikes, I am definitely with you on this one. The husband should have backed his wife!! WTF was up with the dirty look?

- Response by carriesueud, A Life of the Party, Female, 29-35, Cleveland, Who Cares?

OK first off kids will be kids. Kids will call their parents liars, will tell them they hate them, and many other things throughout their life. I don't think that a parent should condone such behavior, but I also think that parents need to realize kids will be kids. I think it's important to teach them respect and tell them what is appropriate.

I am a mother of a 10 yr old that has more then once called me a liar. It's more about him not knowing any other way as to how to express his disappointment or lack of understand of what I may have told him. Scenerio: He asks if he can do something, I tell him either I will think about it or say maybe, when it doesn't happen he says "well you lied". He's disapponted and upset and sees this as a lie. This is the time when you have to sit down with your children and talk to them about the situation, explain it, etc. Not punish them for calling you a liar! In that explanation explain that calling someone a liar especially your parents is not appropriate.

There are many ways of handling this.

Ask your son in law if someday the kid comes out with a statement like, "Daddy is a big fat pig" he will say his son is "just calling it as he sees it"....This kid should be taught respect for others NOW and not try to instill it when they get a note from a teacher in elementary school that they need to come in to discuss some social issues the child is having...your daugher was brought up well.

No, it's not right for a child to talk that way to an adult...any adult. But, it's also not right for grandparents to correct a child unless you have been given authority. Some people get pretty ticked off when inlaws come in and start parenting the grandkids...which make the parents feel that you think they are doing a good enough job. It sounds like these particular parents AREN'T doing a good job....but it's still their child.

- Response by sunlady1120, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Self-Employed

i think its disprectful! children should not talk to adults that way, and if they do, they should be talked to. i don't even think adults should be talking about other people in front of their kids, which is probably what this guy did. kids listen to everything and think its ok to repeat what the hear. this husband either doesn't care how his kids are raised or was just upset that u called him out on it.

- Response by nicky711, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

Yes that is a big no no. That's just disrespectful even if it is the truth. I can't fathom calling my mother a liar then or now for that matter. That needs to be put in check immediately.

- Response by nottheusualmale, A Life of the Party, Male, 36-45, Atlanta, Artist / Musician / Writer

That's pretty problematic. I agree that kids these days have a increasing lack of respect for their elders. But to survive in this era its almost necessary to second guess other people. What needs to be taught to the kid is tact. Its okay for the Kid (even a 5 year old, my daughter is 5) to disagree with an adult, but not to out right call them a liar. They should be taught to simply state, "I don't agree." Or "I don't get that please explain it to me." Or some other way of expressing their reservation than simply calling the other person a liar.

What has been lost in this day and age is the art of conversation and that child needs to learn it.

- Response by attorneydad, A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35, Lawyer

I just experienced this situation with my daughter who is 10. She was upset about something I said and called me a liar because it didn't fit with her view of things. I told her it was not acceptable to call someone a liar, but she was pretty angry and didn't want to listen and I was a bit agitated. I calmly and briefly told her that this was not acceptable and I wanted her to go to her room and think about what she said. About 15 minutes later I went up to her room and she was reading a book and pretty calm. I said I wanted to talk about something and she came out and said she was sorry for what she had said and I accepted her apology. I kept our discussion under one minute and we left each other on good terms. I think its important to let the parties cool down before you try to interject a discussion on manners, tact, and proper behavior and you might get a better outcome.

- Response by robertnest60, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, Boston, Technical