Never ask a woman her age?
Friendship / 2:38 AM - Saturday September 06, 2008

Never ask a woman her age?

Would you be offended if you asked someone their age and you later found out they were a few years older than they had said?

I'm 31, but I get so sick of the fuss that is made and the inevitable "you don't look it" comments of disbelief, that I have started to say I am 25 sometimes when people ask (usually people I meet who I probably won't see again anyway).

Is that bad? If I DO see them again and they find out I wasn't truthful about my age, would they think badly of me?

I don't really think people should be asking, especially to people they have just met anyway. I know its just a conversation filler, but still.

What do you think?

- Asked by sunset77, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

I do that with my weight because I could be 10 pounds overweight and weigh less than someone else could ever hope to weigh. It's a nuisance to tell my real weight to some people, so I know what you are saying. Why do we/they care?????

Anyway, if needed, you tell your real age when you do and tell someone they must have been mistaken. Or, if it is someone you really care about, I don't think it will matter to them when you explain.

I just tell them the truth and they can say whatever it does get sickening after awhile!no youre not that old,you cant have kids that old .how old were you when you had kids 5>?really blah blah blah

- Response by swemur1, A Creative, Female, 46-55

People shouldn't ask you, especially those who have just met you, it's just rude and none of their business. But you shouldn't lie either, it makes you look bad. I would just politely tell them that it isn't their business and you would rather no say how old you are. That way you don't have to lie, and they get the hint that it wasn't an appropriate question to be asking.

- Response by avalon24, An Alternative Girl, Female, 36-45, St.Louis, Medical / Dental

its not polite to ask a lady her age in the first place.

- Response by j3thro, A Couch Potato, Male, 29-35

Hell I am 51 and at this age I don't care what they say...

I am a little tired of the "cougar" references though. I actually had a fitness trainer tell me that with a few extra workouts per week, I'd be one sizzling 35 year old... Great my partner is 57, what the hell would he do with a 35 year-old? All right strike that question.

The only place numbers matter are on your driver's license and social security eligibility form...

Beyond that tell them to .... You know...

- Response by siouxzen, A Career Woman, Female, Who Cares?, Guadalajara, Self-Employed

I think you have the right answer. Tell them what they want to hear and it also pleases you. I like it. I'm 66 and , you're exactly right, people want to say " You don't look it." I'm going to start saying I'm 56. It will make them happy they god it right, and boy will it make me happy.

- Response by swiget, A Cool Mom, Female, 66 or older, Columbus, Administrative

You don't HAVE to tell people how old you are. It's a bit intrusive, unless they are really good friends. You can always turn that question around and ask how old they think you are. And then smile. Lies, even little white ones, have a way of coming around and biting you on the butt.