Is it ok 2 orgasm when in early pregnancy?3 weeks?
Sex & Intimacy / 3:39 AM - Saturday August 30, 2008

Is it ok to have an orgasm when you are pregnant? Last night I had one and there was a little pain after.

Also, is it o.k. to have sex early on if your husband is sort of big, or are there only certain ways that are safe?

I'm kind of scared and wonder if while the baby is still little if having sex or an orgasm might be dangerous for the pregnancy.

- Asked by milla, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

Actually, you CAN increase your chances of miscarriage with sexual activity. No, you don't have to stop having sex, but you might want to take it a little easy for a while.

Here's how it was explained to me:
Our bodies are used to sloughing off each month. Now we have a little fetus resting in our wombs. Our bodies are designed to keep that baby safe while it grows inside of us. BUT... our bodies are also designed to purge monthly AND the contractions of orgasm also stimulate the uteran walls. (*If you run overdue, then often a doctor will tell you to go home and have an orgasm 'to get things going' and it works!)

I had a high-risk multiple birth pregnancy (twins) so my doctor asked me to keep track of when my periods were due through my pregnancy. He asked me NOT to have sex during that time each month because he felt it could cause me to miscarry. It made sense to me. Eventually, it wasn't worth the risk and we gave it up completely in the later months. Besides, it's hard to get 'in the mood' when you feel like a Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade balloon. LOL
Another school of thought is that if a fetus purges due to sexual activity then it wasn't a viable pregnancy anyway and likely wouldn't have gone to term with or without the sexual stimulation.
It is something you will want to discuss with your physician.
I was glad to have the peace of mind abstinence brought. It was well worth the short time of 'going without' to sacrifice for my gorgeous babies! smile
Good luck new Mama! Enjoy the very special time you have with a life growing within you. It's magical and amazing.

- Response by hape2rocku, A Creative, Female, 56-65

Orgasm during pregnancy has long been seen as a taboo and even dangerous act. But actually, orgasms can be quite healthy for both you and your baby, and are often better than ever during pregnancy!

During an orgasm, all of the sexual excitement that you have been experiencing is released in one big rush. As you work up to orgasm, your body begins to change: your heart rate increases, your blood pressure goes up, and your skin begins to sweat. There are physical changes as well.

The muscles in your uterus and vagina will rhythmically contract and relax, and the muscles and joints in your arms and legs may go rigid. Though this sounds unpleasant, it is actually a wonderful experience for most women. But what do orgasms feel like during pregnancy and are they actually safe?

The issue of female orgasm during pregnancy is actually quite controversial. There are many different myths and theories about orgasms during pregnancy, so you may be worried about whether or not it is safe to orgasm at all.

In the past, it was thought that female orgasms could trigger preterm labor. This is because orgasms actually cause your uterus to contract. During orgasm, the hormone oxytocin is released. This hormone is also responsible for triggering labor contractions. This led many health care providers to advise against orgasms during pregnancy. Thankfully, we now know that the uterine contractions caused by orgasm are actually entirely normal. They will not lead to preterm labor in women who are experiencing healthy pregnancies, and they cannot cause your cervix to dilate or efface.

Though it is now accepted that orgasms are perfectly safe for most pregnant women, there are some situations in which orgasms are not advised. Women who are at risk for preterm labor should not have orgasms, as they could increase the risk of kicking off labor contractions. If you are worried about having an orgasm during pregnancy, speak with your health care provider.
Orgasms are typically always enjoyable, but you may find that you enjoy them more than ever during pregnancy. This is because of the increased blood flow to your pelvic region.

During intercourse, your labia, clitoris, and vagina become sensitive thanks to the increased circulation of blood and fluids in your body. When you are pregnant, though, you’re likely to be extra sensitive since you already have more blood flowing through your body all the time. This means that you’ll likely find it much easier to climax and your orgasms may even last significantly longer than usual. Many women also happily report that they enjoy multiple orgasms during pregnancy, so get ready!

And for those of you who typically don’t climax during intercourse, you may orgasm for the first time during pregnancy!

If you have been having regular intercourse throughout your pregnancy, you may have been noticing some peculiar abdominal cramps after orgasm. This is nothing to worry about. Cramping after climaxing is normal and is experienced by most pregnant women, particularly in the third trimester of pregnancy. These cramps are actually the same muscle contractions that you felt during orgasms before pregnancy. These cramps now feel stronger because your uterus has grown in size and because of the release of the hormone oxytocin. These contractions can last anywhere between thirty minutes and one hour.

You may be wondering if your baby knows just what you and your partner are up to when you are having sex. Well, rest assured, your baby cannot see you or your partner, and thus will remain oblivious to the fact that you are having sex during pregnancy. However, there is some evidence to show that babies do experience the same sensation of euphoria that you do when you orgasm.

It is thought that babies gain a heightened sense of happiness because of the release of endorphins during sexual intercourse. Endorphins are special hormones that help to relieve pain. You may be familiar with the "rush" that you get after a tough workout or after eating a chocolate bar; these rushes are also caused by endorphins. Endorphins can travel through your blood, causing your baby (and you) to feel happy and relaxed. Don’t worry though – this is entirely safe for baby.

You may have heard of couples who have engaged in sexual activity in order to naturally induce labor. Well, it has been shown that female orgasms can kick start labor contractions when they occur in the late stages of pregnancy. This is because of the fact that orgasm can cause your body to release oxytocin, a hormone which causes labor contractions. So, if you are past your due date and sick of waiting for baby, speak with your health care provider about engaging in sex to induce labor.

While sex during pregnancy can be a lot of fun, there are certain warning signs to look out for when you are experiencing orgasms. Warning signs include:

very painful contractions
uterine cramps lasting longer than one hour
unusual or heavy vaginal bleeding

Though rare, these signs could indicate that you are experiencing preterm labor or miscarriage, and you should visit with your health care provider immediately.

My wife and had sex almost up to the delivery time. She always had orgasms without pain. Yours may be subconscince. Your Dr. will tell you everything you need to know.

- Response by trhjr1, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Retired

My wife and I consulted her OBGYN about this issue, because I was afraid that the baby would accidentally fall out or sex would rupture the embryonic sack. The doctor said that sex is alright becuase the baby is protected by the fluids. He said that actually having sex later on in the pregancy would actually be good because the penis would scrape away at the the birth canal and make his job easier. But otherwise, sex posed no danger for the baby. My wife and I did it a ton and my son couldn't be a healthier baby.

- Response by kittrick, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 29-35, Technical

with my first one the doc even sent us home 9 months along and told us if we wanted to jump start the process that the enzymes in semen was known to induce labor (and yes it seemed to work too) Anyway no the little guy is firmly attached scream and wiggle away.

- Response by hoopsjunkie, A Rebel, Male, 46-55, Indianapolis, Self-Employed