Radiator?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 9:33 AM - Friday August 22, 2008

Radiator?

My radiator light is on, presumably because I need coolant. A friend at work said you can do it yourself, just go to a place that sells car parts (like O'Reily, NAPA, AutoZone) and you can buy it there.

Is that correct?

How much do I need to put in?

The engine has to be cold, right?

Thanks!

- Asked by burntsmurf2000, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Financial / Banking

Mix the coolant 50% water to 50% coolant then put it in until full. You can do it when it is hot but you might burn yourself. You can go to Walmart and get it cheaper..

- Response by pepperman46, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55

yes, you can do it yourself. But talk to the Autozone guy. Most coolants have to be dilluted 50/50 with water. But I can't imagnine someone hasn't figured out to do that so it's more convenient. It's as simple as filling your windshield washer fluid.

You no longer pour it directly into the radiator, but a plastic reservoir that is connected to the rad, so the engine doesn't have to be cool.

Yes, you can certainly do it yourself, but show a lil cleavage and I bet the Autozone guy will do it for you!

- Response by hubbyochris, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Cleveland, Executive

the ppl at those places are great. they will help you.

- Response by busyb704, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

If you are not sure, have somebody help you. Any service station cn do this in minutes. NEVER open the cap while your engine is hot!!!!

- Response by cmgr, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 46-55, New York, Other Profession

Hon. find out WHY the coolant is low, could be a leak at the water pump or radiator hose, even a stuck thermostat, etc...bp

- Response by billpayer, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

Go to Autozone or Napa or someplace like that Yes you can do it yourself if you go to Autozone they will tell you the kind you need and there is a line on the coolant container in your car that says fill line do it cold it is safer. And if you play it right the guy at Autozone might do it for you.

- Response by An Alternative Girl, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?