Won't stop crying!
Sex & Intimacy / 2:19 PM - Tuesday April 22, 2008

won't stop crying!

I can’t it anymore, it’s driving me nuts and no I don’t mean my fiance. It’s my puppy. He’s almost a year old on May 21, and I swear he’s regressing, all he’s doing is crying ALL THE TIME, especially when he’s in his crate. He won’t even sleep. He’ll sit up all night crying and moaning and he’s really loud. I don’t what to do and I don’t why he’s doing it.

When we first got him he was horrible and then he got better and would only whine for a few minutes, but now, it’s like the minute he gets in the crate he starts crying. I put him outside on his leash he cries. I put him in the kitchen with all his toys and treats and he can see me, but he’s gated in, he cries. He won’t even play with the toys or eat the treas. And it’s not like he really wants to be with me, because when he’s not in the crate he just runs around the house or he’ll lay on the floor chewing on something. He’s so horrible now. I don’t even want to go home, because all he’s going to be doing is crying.

Two things that have changed within the last week, but his crying has been going on for about a month now, has gotten worse just lately. A little over a week ago we got a bunny rabbit, that all the puppy wants to do is play with bunny or try to eat her IDK – he’s a beagle – and I took his bed out of his crate, because it stunk and he chewed holes in it. I don’t know if his bed has anything to do with it or the rabbit, but it’s all that I can think of that changed to make him cry more.

Does anyone know of any ways to get an almost year old puppy to stop crying or maybe know a “puppy whisper-er”? I swear I need a puppy shrink, but I don’t know any. My vet told me to just ignore him. But if I do he gets worse and louder. I’m at my wits end here.

Update: April 24, 2008.
He FINALLY stopped crying! The little frigger only wanted a new fluffy bed. I bought him like 3 different beds and he didn’t like them, so I decided to buy one more the really expensive fluffy bed. Yup, he loves it. He stopped crying as soon as he realized what it was and now he won’t come out f his crate. He loves it in there. I’ll let him outside and he’s very hard to get back in, I usually have to bribe him with treats. I was like treats and he ignored me, then I said where’s your new bed, he stopped what he was doing, ran past the bunny and right into his crate. It took me 2 hours to get him out of it. Thank God he loves it, the best $60 I ever spent.

- Asked by msqueenie, A Trendsetter, Female, 36-45

Depression and grieving in pets may take many different forms - from the obviously sad and lethargic animal to the pet who manifests illness and behavioral problems associated with depression.

Animals form very deep attachments to their owners and to each other. It is therefore not surprising when they show signs of grief and depression if their owner or a companion pet die.

Some animals experience separation anxiety when their owners go away for a vacation, or sometimes even when they leave them for a short time. Separation anxiety, can result in depression or, more commonly (especially in dogs), in destructive behavior such as digging, chewing or scratching.

Pets are also very attuned to their owner's emotional state. If you are feeling depressed or grief-stricken, this may, in turn, impact your pet. Certain breeds of pets also tend to worry and fret more than others. They may be at particular risk of developing chronic depression.

Symptoms of grief and depression can
include:

Excessive barking
Lethargy
Anxiety/nervousness
Excessive grooming (particularly in cats)
Self mutilation or destructive behavior
Weight loss/gain
Sulking or even aggression
Change in personality
Increased clinginess and attachment
Loss of appetite

Most people find that listening to a dog whining is one of the most annoying things to put up with. If you wish to stop dog whining there a few measures you are going to have to take. As with barking, whining is best treated by ignoring the dog completely. Unless the dog is in pain, which you should try and rule out as quickly as possible, it is most likely a ploy to grab your attention. Remember, dogs are attention seekers as they are a social animal by nature and instinct.

Got a Whining Dog?
Stop the Whine With Ease
and Live In Peace With Your Dog...The sound of a dog whining is very irritating to most people. However, when a dog whines they do so because of a natural behavior in them. They want something. Whining is always associated with wanting something. They may want help, security, food, exercise, or anything at all. Puppies will normally whine to their mother if they are in search of and want something to eat. Hunger is commonly associated with this type of behavior. The older the dog gets, the more likely it will try to whine to get something it wants. Do not allow yourself to be trained by the dog. That is your job.

What activity are you doing if any when the dog begins to whine? Does it whine excessively or just a little bit? A reason the dog may whine is because it wants your food. If you are having a tasty steak, the dog smells that and wants it. It is best if you can train the dog to eat away from the table. Better yet, see if you can have the dog go away while you eat the table. You could also be outside and the dog wants to come in with you.

A lot of these problems arise from common sense issues. It is amazing how many people do not pick up on why their dog is whining. Other popular problems include the use of a crate. Many dogs do not like to be put in a crate at all. Whining will pick up when this happens and might cease to stop unless they can come out. One of the last problems is at least helpful. A dog will whine if it has to go outside. This is a good thing because you do not want your puppy to relieve itself on your brand new rug.

Obviously if your dog has to use the bathroom, let him outside. The last thing you need is to be cleaning up a mess inside the house. This is one form of whining you must act immediately on. You should be able to tell if your dog has to go to the bathroom. It will most likely be sitting near the door and staring at the door knob and looking back over its shoulder at you. Take the hint and let the animal outside to relieve itself.

Additional sponsored results for "Stop dog whining"
Stop Dog Whiningwww.dogproblemso lutions.com/whining - Follow expert advice, with training stop dog whining fast.
Got a Whining Dog?DogObedienceAdvice .com - Put an end to your Dog's Excessive Whining, Aggression, Barking, etc.
Stop Whining Dogswww.NativeRemedie s.com/petalive - Natural remedy for depressed and grieving pets. Guaranteed results.» more

- Response by carolynspoonire, A Rebel, Female, 56-65, Philadelphia, Medical / Dental

yes go to the vet and make sure there is nothing wrong with the little one , also you should never use the crate to punish so if you are that needs to stop as well.. the dog also maybe going through seperation anxiety if he can't get to you. you are taking away the things taht comfort him.. the bed and sticking the poor dog in a crate all day you are going to have these issues.. he also may need more exercise, beagles can be like this.. take him outside more.. give him some attention and wear him out with walks , etc and again Make sure its nothing physical

Your vet is on the money. It's going to get worse before it gets better. In spite of what we'd like to tell ourselves, for reinforcement, positive or negative, the time from a behavior to the expected result is VERY SHORT verging on immediate. That's why rubbing a dogs face in a wet spot on the floor does little more than tell him "That's where to pee". You have to do the conditioning (the response or in this case the lack of one) along side the attached behavior. Otherwise it's like spanking a six year old for something that happened an hour ago. Their most natural instinct is to stop what they are doing currently. In the case of the dog, he's expecting a reaction (negative or positive) so any action you take towards him will elicit a response.

- Response by huckleberry, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Technical

Contact a dog trainer they might tell you what to do.

- Response by thewiselady2004, A Creative, Female, 56-65, Los Angeles, Self-Employed

Not being mean.

But keeping him in a crate is really poor. He is suppose to be your friend.

Take him out of the cage. Learn to train. Be consistent and take responsibility for your relationship.

|| DK ||

- Response by ddkk, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Philadelphia, Political / Government

I don't understand the whole "crate" thing. I had dogs my whole life growing up, and we never, ever put them in a crate! Why get a dog, only to stick him in a box? If someone locked me in a box, I'd cry too!

Also, beagles are *notorious* for separation anxiety, as well as being HUNTERS. Having a live bunny in the house is like tormenting the dog - his natural instinct is to HUNT critters like bunnies, and here there's one in his house, and you won't even let him NEAR it, but keep him locked in a crate!

If it was me, I'd consult a professional dog trainer. The "just ignore him" advice doesn't work - he's only going to escalate his behavior. You need to find out what you're doing wrong (I don't mean that as a judgement, but your dog is interpreting something you're doing as 'wrong') and address it.

When a pet becomes such a burden that you don't even want to go home, that is a HUGE problem - for both pet and owner.

Tough love isn't called easy love for a reason. Sometimes you just have to let him cry. If he knows he'll get let out if he does it long enough, he'll keep it up as long as it takes--hours! I have a fuzzy blanket in our dog's crate that I take out and put on the floor sometimes so he can lie down on it. Then his smell is on it when I put it back in the crate, and apparently the smell stays somewhat after I wash it. So far so good with that one. Dogs are sometimes territorial, and maybe he resents another animal in the house, or maybe he thinks he's got a new playmate, or maybe he thinks he should have the bunny for lunch. Who knows, but I would try really REALLY hard to ignore his crying, and when you do take him out, love him up and praise him. Good luck!

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Teaching