Petite vs Junior sizes for women
Sex & Intimacy / 12:11 AM - Thursday February 14, 2008

Petite vs Junior sizes for women

Does anyone know the difference between junior sizes and petite sizes? I'm trying to find a nice denim jacket on ebay, and most say junior size. I'm petite, size 6 or so, but afraid these might be made for a teenager or extremely small boned woman.

Any ideas? I ask for measurements, but I'm wary. I wore junior sizes in my younger days.

Thanks!

- Asked by lasuz, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Medical / Dental

Petite refers to height. I believe 5'4" and under is considered petite.

Junior sizes are odd sizes (1,3,5,7,9...etc) and tend to be cut a little narrower than misses sizes, which are the even ones (2,4,6,8...etc)

If you normally wear a size 6, then a size 7 in junior's would probably work for you. If you are under 5'4", and a size 6, I'd still go for the size 7 junior's in a jacket.

I really wish women's sizes weren't so complicated! Hope that helps.

Petite is for 5'4" or shorter. I am 5'4" but have long legs so typical pants are to short. If you don't have a long torso petite should work for you. Favorites dot com have a precious denim jacket with ruffles, if you like ruffles.

- Response by nowornever, A Thinker, Female, 66 or older, Financial / Banking

Juniors are the smaller sizes and petite are the smaller SHORTER sizes.

I think I know this one: petite sizes run the same as regular "women's" sizes (2, 4, 6, 8, etc.), but usually run shorter in length; junior sizes are cut a little differently from "grown-woman sizes", and have a different numbering system: 0, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, etc. I think junior sizes typically are less roomy through the hips, and have shorter rises (but I'm not sure about this).

Hope I'm not leading you astray!

- Response by recynd, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Los Angeles, Administrative

Junior is what younger people wear.... more of trendy smaller sizes. but it is not little or shorter in length. So if you are short in areas of you body... like shorter legs or arms... then most people then... Junior sizes won't work. Hope this helps.. !

- Response by nicoles04261, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

I would say to look in a jc pennys catalog and look at the sizes. I wear petites as well and have some jrs. But, with out trying it on I would be a bit concerned as well.

Let me know.. Hey how the perfume turn out? How are you?

- Response by laney3166, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Kansas City, Who Cares?

The cuts are different. Petite ladies are 5'3" and under and the clothes are smaller through the shoulders and shorter than misses. If you have a cataglog, there should be a section that tells you the differences in lengths, and fullness between all the different sizes. Juniors are probably wider or smaller in the shoulders and lengths are longer.

- Response by goldenoldie, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Self-Employed