Make period go away faster
Diet & Health / 9:00 AM - Sunday December 09, 2007

Make period go away faster

I'm having surgery on Thursday and my period just started this afternoon. My period usually lasts 6 days and is very heavy, I'm desperate, I'd still be heavily bleeding on Thursday! I can't postpone the surgery, I waited months for a free slot, the next free one is in March!!!

Please help, do you know of anything to make the bleeding go away faster? Aspirin? Hot bath? Herbal remedies? Exercise? Vit. C? Any diet?

Thanks for your well-meant answers. I realize this is not the place to ask, but come on, it's Sunday afternoon, I can only ask the nurse tomorrow morning and there is a body&self image section &plenty of women here... Until Monday, I'm panicking! Plus, you gotta admit, it's not as bad a question as the one about sizes... ;) For those who asked, it's a surgery for fibroids& ovarian cysts. I'm concerned because I still bleed heavily, even on day 5 and there's no way I will be able to maintain my hygiene, risk of infection etc. What can I say, maybe it's a rest of PMS, I sure have my stomach all up in knots and ready to cry. You helped, thanks!

- Asked by clairette, A Career Woman, Female, 29-35, Student

Since we don't handle medical issues, you need to contact your doctor and tell them about your situation. They'll advise you correctly, I'm sure. Good luck!

- Response by scrapper1941, A Thinker, Female, 66 or older, Retired

aspirin will make it worse, a hot bath will ease cramps but not make it better

call or visit your doctor asap.... im sure they will say surgery will be fine and just deal with it - by thursday youll have at least 4 days done....

overall, dont worry about it and relax - and best of luck for thursday

:o)

- Response by anonymouse32, An Alternative Girl, Female, 18-21

First, what kind of surgery are you having??? You can take Advil, or Mortin a few times a day and it will lessen or stop you period.

- Response by MaryAnne, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Regina, Managerial

speak with your physician and see what she/he says then get a 2nd medical opinion ...you didn't say if this surgery was elective or necessary to live a normal life ...if it's elective you need only to re-schedule ...I'm strong believer that one should NOT disrupt the natural flow of the biology of one's body. I would suggest to you that you may not be the ONLY female who had her cycle while undergoing surgery mind you I stated MAY NOT ...check it out w/your physician NOT in THIS forum, a 'quack' may give you false or dangerous advice -

Merry Christmas Clairette

- Response by knowledgeispower, A Trendsetter, Female, 46-55, Self-Employed

Don't take aspirin before surgery. Talk to the MD IMMEDIATELY.

- Response by butternutbisque, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

your having surgery..
doctors see this all time.. they are not going to be worried about it..

Don't worry.... it will be fine....

- Response by dana1148, A Player, Female, 36-45, Philadelphia, Who Cares?

Whatever you do, do not take aspirin for one week prior to any surgery, it thins the blood. Also stay away from "herbal remedies" also. Hot baths? That will make it heavier! It may react with the anesthesia. Even if you have your period, that will not prevent them from doing the surgery so don't panic. Besides, it will probably be over by then. Call the nurse if you have any concerns.

- Response by italiangypsy, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Philadelphia, Other Profession

i would call and consult with the doctor about this and why in the world would you schedule this type of surgery when your period would be near this date?

- Response by funygirl, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Chicago, Self-Employed