Thank you for your many years of support. We want to share the news with you that after much consideration, will cease operations in its present format on October 15th. We appreciate your meaningful contributions over the years.
Back to Home

Active Questions

Starting a Fund for a Sick Child
Family & Parenting / 6:47 PM - Wednesday October 10, 2007

Starting a Fund for a Sick Child

My friend recently found out that her 3 year old daughter has a rare and incurable genetic disease. She is, of course, devastated, and is currently focused on doing all she can to get the best possible treatment for her.

The company's health insurance isn't great, so those of us who work with her fear she will have expensive medical bills on top of the emotional trauma. To help, we want to put together some kind of benefit to establish a fund to help with her daughter's medical costs. I've seen these before..."Friends of Stephen" or whatever...what I need to know is how one establishes such a fund in a way that people from the community will feel confident contributing, knowing that it's going for medical costs, not just someone trying to scam money.

Has anyone ever done this before, and if so, any ideas on how to do this? Do you have to establish some kind of non profit status? Can you set something up like this without incurring costs? None of us are rich, but we feel if we could set up such a fund, we could do a benefit, maybe do some small fund raisers, just put together some different things to help defray these costs and in some small way make things easier for her.

Anyone who's done this before, your advice would be greatly appreciated.


- Asked by writeginny, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Artist / Musician / Writer

Read more about the Rating System

We did this for my cousin who passed away.
You have to get an attorney involved. The attorney will establish a trust which is a legally recognized entity that will hold the assets and also determine the details of who handles the money, who gets it and when.
The only way it can have non profit status is if the money goes towards research and not directly to the family.

It stinks, but that's how it needs to be done...
You may be able to find an attorney who is willing to donate some time or offer a reduced fee.

Good luck. I will pray for your friend and her daughter.

- Response by myndseye711, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35, Managerial

Rating Received:

Go to your local bank & explain to them what you wish to do. Often, the banks will handle the accounting of the funds as their way of helping the family in need.

You are very thoughtful for wanting to assist in this way!

- Response by wheezerman, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

Rating Received:

Community Rating: Community Star

Its great that you all want to help out.

Since there is no way of knowing how much money you can generate, it would be safe to open a small account for contributions, that way no one gets temepted while keeping the money in their sock drawer.

Make some posters /sighns to hang around local establishemnts (with thier consent)Letting them know how to donate.

Since this is a rare condition, get the community radio and News channels involved. This will help increase awareness and you can get the info out about how to donate.

Talk to some local bikers and see if they will be willing to sponser a ride to raise funds.

- Response by realman2000, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Norfolk, Medical / Dental

Rating Received: