Cry baby co-workers
Career / 7:05 PM - Saturday July 28, 2007

Cry baby co-workers

The Co. that I work for has a weekly clean-up on Fridays and the senior people usually get to go home early. It used to be that the junior people went home while the senior people stayed and finished the clean-up. We have two co-workers the constantly complain, whine, cry, basically throw a fit like a 2 yr old, because they have to stay (which is usually only a hour or so) and finish. The senior people have suggested that we take turns, but these two don't want to work with the rest of us.They both used to be the junior people, and left early all the time. One in particular will actually cry, when she doesn't get to leave early because the other one gets to because she came in 4 hrs early. This last Friday night she called one of the other girls, to ask her to call in sick so she could go in early for her..and leave early. When she couldn't do that, she pretended to be sick and went home early anyway - laughing on her way out the door. Do you think that she is making a hostile work environment for the rest of us, and is the company somehow responsible, because they won't do anything about it? It is a fortune 500 company.

Update: July 28, 2007.
The company is a juice manufacturing company, and the clean up takes place during our regular shift, on the machines we have worked on all week. This is a production line CIP clean in place. Do you think what she is doing is making a hostile work enviroment, or am I making a big deal of it.

- Asked by sexysasha, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65, Home Maker

The amount extra they are paying u guys to stay later...can't they hire a cleaning company 1 hour/wk to clean? They might even save money.

- Response by jackie000, A Sportif, Female, 29-35, Student

If I was her supervisor she would be seeking her fortune elswhere handicapped by a poor recomendation to offer from
heh previous employer.

- Response by joat, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 66 or older, Retired

why can't the company hire the cleaning done. If it is not stated in your job description, you are not required to do it. If you all stick together(good luck on that one)you could make a difference. Are you paid for this time??

Is there a reason why the company cannot hire custodians to do the cleaning. Everyone should be responsible to clean behind themselves in the restroom, and kitchen, and a cleaning team should come in every so often for the week.Personally, If I did was not hired as a cleaning person, there is no way I would appreciate being assigned a cleaning day for the company. Some professionals hires someone to clean their home, so why should they clean on thei jobs as professional?
Company needs to arrange to hire a cleaning team, or outline cleaning as part of the job duties at the time of hire/interview. This gives a professional time to make the right decision.

- Response by A Trendsetter, Female, 36-45, Technical

I have heard of such a thing. Custodial cleaning is expensive, but a Fortune 500 company can afford it. They can not expect their staff to clean their building! When I worked at the paper, even though I was in advertising, we had to take turns & restock the papers, clean out the old ones. It was hard work. Regardless, your co-worker is making a hostile work environment by creating undue stress for everyone else. I would talk to HR about this, anonymously, of course.

- Response by italiangypsy, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Philadelphia, Other Profession

This is about more than cry baby co-workers. I would not want to stay an extra hour to clean. It's a Fortune 500 company, they should act behave like one and hire that work done by professionals! It is disgusting that they expect employees to do that! Don't they know they are paying them more than they would cleaners? Not a smart decision from the higher-ups!

- Response by lacey07, A Life of the Party, Female, Who Cares?, Other Profession