Pat on the back a sign of an impending breakup?
Dating / 10:55 PM - Tuesday June 26, 2007

I've been dating a guy for a month. He's very sweet and attentive, and we already have this weekend's date planned. When we kissed and hugged goodnite after our last date, he patted me on the back while hugging me. I read somewhere that when a guy does that, it's a sign, even if subconscious on his part, that a breakup could be imminent. Is that true? Guys? Have you done this? Girls? Has this been done to you? HELP!!!

- Asked by wiseoldgal, A Thinker, Female, 46-55

Calm down! Just enjoy the pat on the back. I think it sounds sweet. Don't read into things and worry. Focus on being excited about this weekend's date! :)

- Response by undecidedfuture1, A Creative, Female, 36-45

Don't stress about it. Let things be. If you stress about it then you will make it happen. Know what I mean?

- Response by ashleighrose2007, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 36-45, Atlanta, Political / Government

Oh for God's sake! I've read some pretty stupid stuff on this site. This is up there.

Whoever told you that is nuts. Simply ridiculous.

- Response by mikehug, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Cleveland

I have never heard that ever. But I did have several male friends who used to do that, and it turned out that our relationship didn't go further than friendship. So maybe there is something to it?
BNA

- Response by bnotafraid, A Creative, Female, Who Cares?, Artist / Musician / Writer

Generally a pat on the back is friendly gesture, and not romantic, but I wouldn't read too much into it. Interseting concept. However, a breakup is imminent when a guy doesn't call anymore, becomes "busy/stressed/not ready for a relationship right now", lets you down and is okay with it, etc.

Don't fret just yet.

- Response by sakura1, A Player, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

That's ridiculous, I could swear my boyfriend has patted me on the back before too-and we are still dating over a yr!! He could just be nervous around you, when you are nervous I'm sure everything you do isn't the smoothest ever :D Relax,no judging, just enjoy your date.

- Response by jackie000, A Sportif, Female, 29-35, Student

I have heard that it is a sign of nervousness and feeling just a tad insecure at the moment. Which, in your case, may have made sense.

- Response by shoegal101, A Trendsetter, Female, 36-45, Other Profession

...And if he would of patted you on the butt...what would that have meant?
...How about if he would have rubbed your butt what would that have meant?

- Response by mauddeep, An Intellectual Guy, Male, Who Cares?, New York, Science / Engineering

It means nothing. It was a simple pat along with the hug. Now if it was a pat on the back and nothing else, that would have a different meaning! Relax, all is well!

- Response by lacey07, A Life of the Party, Female, Who Cares?, Other Profession

It's time to stop reading and start communicating! A lot of what us woman read makes us paranoid to the hilt and isn't always true. This isn't to say that your woman's intuition isn't right but you'll never know unless you ask him how he's feeling about the relationship thus far. If you'd like to read a book you can trust about men and relationships I'd like to recommend a book called "He just isn't that into you" by Greg Behrendt. Straight forward and it doesn't sugarcoat the facts. I am married but enjoyed the book tremendously and found it all to be true about men and dating. I wish you the best of luck in love and life!

Best Wishes,
Stephie

- Response by justastingyhag, A Married Girl, Female, 36-45, Chicago

What the heck? I've never heard of such non-sense! Stop reading into all these little signs

- Response by micro420, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, San Francisco, Technical