What does it mean when a guy says he needs time
Dating / 2:07 PM - Thursday March 22, 2007

The man that I have been dating for the past couple months said he was confused and need some time, what exactly does that mean? Can I call him or do I really need to wait for him to call me? This is driving me crazy! Do you think we will get back together or is it the end?Thanks

- Asked by valleygirl8, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Other Profession

What you honestly need to do is leave him alone to his thoughts
Men work that way, when they say they need space they reeeeally do need space. Regardless of what the outcome, please just respect his request. Im sure you would want the same if you asked
for it. :)
Good luck and I hope things work out for both of you

- Response by glamscents, A Trendsetter, Female, 36-45, Toronto, Other Profession

It usually means one of two things: 1-He's found someone else that has his interest enough to give him pause about you two, or 2- He's determined that you aren't the 'one' for him and he's going to gradually let this go. If this is the case, he should've just 'manned up' and been straight with you but thats hard for some people.

I wouldn't call him as thats not giving him his space, but its up to you to determine how long you'll give him to work this out. He is probably hoping you will just end it (which you should and if he comes back around, fine, but don't let this stay in limbo as it'll keep your feelings hurt and from healing).

If he comes back around within a week or so, great. His confusion will have cleared up and he'll be back solid. (Some men back off a little to decipher what they feel for you, right before they commit seriously or walk away for good). It wouldn't take long for this to happen so you don't have long to wait. Anything more than 2 weeks or so and he's waiting for you to walk away so he can be absolved of some of the guilt.

His lost someone else would appreciate your time.

- Response by mechelle1980, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Other Profession

He just broke up with you without the courtesy of being clear and honest about it. Write him off.

- Response by pandorasfault, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Teaching

No, you really do need to give the man some space. This usually is not a good sign especially if he is saying this just after a couple of months together. Most of the time this means they want to break up just not sure if they want to give up the goods yet. I wouldn't call him at all!!! I would go about as if he didn't even exist and if and when he gets un-confused then you can talk, hell you might find you don't even want him by then. Good luck!