Patin, Ravensbruck, Auschwitz
Sex & Intimacy / 9:42 PM - Tuesday February 27, 2007

Patin, Ravensbruck, Auschwitz

Have you ever studied something so fanatically that you had to almost wean yourself from it?

Last year and the year before, I got heavily into studying about the concentration camps. I read countless books about them; and spent countless hours on the internet looking up information. It was almost like a drug; the more I learned, the more I needed to know. I had to actually stop myself from looking up anything else about it when I began having nightmares.......that I think may have stemmed from a past life.

I don't know why this subject was such a trigger for me; but it was immense. I watched "Schindler's List" over and over.

Tonight I made the mistake of watching "Apt Pupil", about a teenage boy who finds a Nazi war criminal living in his city; but instead of turning him in, he makes the old man tell him stories about it (Stephen King story) I now feel the urge to delve into this subject again.

Have you ever experienced anything like that?

- Asked by bathory313, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Norfolk, Medical / Dental

all the time.. I find something and I become obsessed until Have exhausted the subject.. everything from Hilter, the Civil War and the Reconstruction... the Titanic, women in the middle east.. I could go on and on.. people tell me I am highly intelligent. I think this a great big part of it.. and its not just history.. I also study consumer law.. when I got involved in a situation to the point where I met with one of our congressmen to get a law changed (which is still being worked on. NOT a fast process.. lol).. I do this with many things, .. become the research queen.. no wonder you and I get along so well.. :)..

I don't think it's necessarily a BAD thing...I tend to get real fanatical about subjects that I'm interested in. I think yours may bother you because it's a rather gruesome subject.

I think it's just the yearning to learn as much as you possibly can about a certain subject.

- Response by chattinchick, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Other Profession

I wrote technical paper with power point presentation for an engineering association...I'm not an engineer.

Needless to say I spent 6 months learning, studying, integrating engineer jargon into my speak....when it was all said and done, I didn't do crap at work for 2 weeks my brain was mush

- Response by thumper879, A Hip Hop Girl, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

What does this have to do with sex?

- Response by mrburns, A Father Figure, Male, 56-65

I wish I could get into a mode like this for school..... then I would be laughing. But I guess I'll go back and force myself to study more now....

- Response by yogastar02, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Edmonton, Student

It probably is a past-life coming back to you. I've been reading the posts at the yah-oo "pastlifetherapy" group, and it seems like a lot of people have come back from the death camps in new bodies. The view is that, after dying in such a traumatic way, people want to return much sooner than otherwise.

When I was a kid, one of my favorite toys was a Texaco North Dakota oil tanker. The original of this ship was built at Newport News in 1954.
I love model ships and boats, and years later, I began a project to recreate these famous ships. I immersed myself in original builder's drawings for an entire summer, producing a large drawing that was used with an article I published in a modeling magazine. I'd watch the shipping reports for arrivals and departures of Texaco ships in my area, and try to photograph them.
My younger brother has picked up the project, and we've collected resource material to add even more to our knowledge. He's even built a web page to show off what we've done, and we'd ultimately like to produce a museum-scale model of our own.
I figured, there had to be a builder's model of the ship somewhere, and that was what we intended to copy. As it turns out, the model does exist, in a museum in Boston. It's beautiful, just like looking at the actual ship!
I did start a model of the North Dakota, not in museum scale, but slightly smaller. I never finished it, and the place where I live now doesn't really have space for model building.

I did it for D-Day. June 6,1944 Allied invasion of Normandy. Finally went there and actually reenacted the landing before I freed that ghost. I think I read erry single book they wrote about it twice. Spent quite a bit of time in the graveyards there. Seas of white sticks like you wouldn't believe. So maybe I was killed there once.

I felt good afta and it's no longer a big interest of mine so I guess I left that ghost over there.