Scratched My Esophagus
Sex & Intimacy / 1:33 PM - Tuesday February 13, 2007

Scratched My Esophagus

Hey all. My throat hurts like Hell and this is my theory: about two days ago I swallowed some pills and they went down HARD. You know the feeling of swallowing a huge pill, and it feels like it's raking down your throat? Yeah, that was it. Anyway, a bit later in that day every swallow started hurting (it feels like a huge pill being swallowed each time I swallow). Water, saliva, whatever-- it all hurts. I think it scratched my esophagus, and so now, every freaking swallow is killing me.

I'm taking Advil, drinking chamomile, and sipping lemon water-- for a few days nothing really SEEMED to be getting better.

So, multi-part question:

1) Has this ever happened to you?
2) If so, what should I take to ease my pain and...
3) ...how long does this last?
4) Would going to the doctor benefit me at all?

- Asked by singularapathy, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Charlotte, Student

get a dry piece of bread and chew and swallow a big bite, not where you'd choke. But nice bite. Now while chewing and swallowing that DRY BREAD, put the other part in the toaster and eat it dry , too.
ANd if you ever take pills, and they stick, grab a piece of bread, chew it, and swallow. It takes the pills on down.
Easily.
After you get the feeling of that pill out of your throat, then gargle with salt water IF IT STILL HURTS. But it shouldn't.
If the whole piece of "DRY" bread doesn't take away the feeling of the pill being in there, Was it a pill like a big vitamin? Its dissolving but slowly. It can be lodged in there where it could go either to the tummy or the lung. Thats how people choke. When they laugh, and have food in their mouths, and it goes to their lungs causing aspiration pneumonia.
Try the bread and let me know if it worked.

- Response by carolynspoonire, A Rebel, Female, 56-65, Philadelphia, Medical / Dental

Oh God, you might have strep throat. I say get to the doc quick before it gets worse. Or like me, rush to the ER and get a big 'ol needle in your ass to make the pain go away.

- Response by augustbaby82, A Married Girl, Female, 29-35, New York, Financial / Banking

hey sore throat guy. Are you sure thats what you swallowed??? Just kidding. Im sure it will go away if a day or two. Kinda like a sore in your mouth, irritating but not worth going to the dr about. How many pills did you swallow? all at one time?
Have you ever drank something really hot and burned your tounge? It could be like that or maybe you sratched something. can you call your drs office and ask the advice nurse? i think if your not coughing up blood your gonna live.

- Response by workinout, An Alternative Girl, Female, 46-55, San Jose, Fitness