What does don't take it personally mean ?
Friendship / 9:40 PM - Tuesday January 30, 2007

what does don't take it personally mean ?

Is it similar to "lighten up" ?

thanks

- Asked by govbop, A Creative, Male, 46-55, Washington, DC, Who Cares?

Not really like 'lighten up'... more like if I came up to you and said "Damn, your shirt is ugly! But don't take it personally." (Lol, I was trying to think of the least offensive example, how did I do?)

You know, it's supposed to alleviate the hurt of an insult, as if you could.

- Response by phenixdumal, An Alternative Girl, Female, 26-28, Marseille, Fashion

when said to me, it means i've probably just been insulted

- Response by kaisersoze, A Couch Potato, Male, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

I've always loved this quote from You've Got Mail:

Joe Fox: "It wasn't... personal"

Kathleen Kelly: "What is that supposed to mean? I am so sick of that. All that means is that it wasn't personal to you. But it was personal to me. It's *personal* to a lot of people. And what's so wrong with being personal, anyway? Whatever else anything is, it ought to begin by being personal."

So true! :)

- Response by floridagirl, An Alternative Girl, Female, 36-45, Other Profession

Don't take it personally means, don't take it to heart & don't stress it.
Lighten up means cheer up, look on the bright side.
So, while the 2 may sound similar, they have different meanings.

- Response by augustbaby82, A Married Girl, Female, 29-35, New York, Financial / Banking

It's an easy way to say:

You have these traits that I dislike, but I'm not saying I dislike YOU of course...

Of course!

- Response by chattinchick, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Other Profession

It means loosen up because it was all in good fun and you're taking yourself wayy to seriously by not having a sense of humor.

- Response by osl1, A Player, Male, 29-35, Chicago, Financial / Banking

What it means is that how people behave is not so much directed at you as it arises out of the other person's needs, problems or issues. Rarely has someone acted mostly to cause me pain or sadness. Usually, they are just doing the best they can.

- Response by desertson52, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65, Sacramento, Consulting

don't be offended, it's not about you....hope this helps.

- Response by cardiff2, A Cool Mom, Female, 56-65, San Diego, Administrative

Pretty much.

When someone says something negative, don't take it as a personal attack. Instead, brush it off, or use it as constructive criticism.

- Response by danawalker, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 29-35, Washington, DC, Who Cares?

It means just what it says. Don't take it (what 'whoever' says) personally. It's a GENERALIZED statement, that means just what it says. No, it doesn't necessarily mean lighten up, unless you ARE taking it personally.

- Response by echomoonsongs, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65, Student

I WOULD IMAGINE THAT IT MEANS THE SAME. SOMEONE POSSIBLY MIGHT GIVE YOU ADVISE OR A SUGGESTION....DONT TAKE IT PERSONALLY WOULD MEAN THEY ARE NOT SAYING IT IN A WAY TO HURT YOUR FEELINGS....BUT TO HELP YOU.

- Response by lam0366, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 46-55, Administrative