Breast Implants - good idea/bad idea???
Sex & Intimacy / 12:41 PM - Monday January 22, 2007

Breast Implants - good idea/bad idea???

Thanks to all who responded already, but I am still wanting more feedback.

I am 28 years old, 5 ft. 8 in. tall, about 140 lbs and have size 36 A breasts. I am strongly considering breast augmentation. I am not going for huge tits. I just want to be able to wear strapless dresses and tank tops and feel good naked. I am doing this for myself - not because my boyfriend wants me to. I would love to hear advice, feedback, etc. from men and women with experience or who have strong opinions on this subject. Thank you.

- Asked by kelleigh16, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

My best friend has about the same stats as you. She weighs a little less, but that is neither here nor there.....
She lived with he body for 40 some odd years before she decided that she was going to give her body a more fluid look. She had broad shoulders and a nice body, but the lack of breasts really made her feel inadequate. She went from an A to a full C and she looks great. I think that going to that size was perfect for her and she had a great doctor. In asking her after the pain was over if it was worth it, she said that she wished she had done it YEARS ealier.
If you do decided to have the surgery, make sure you go to a good doctor and my advice is to stay away from the huge boobies... they look terrible....
Good Luck =)

- Response by clscott645, A Life of the Party, Female, 36-45, Administrative

You wanted strong opinions...I am strongly neutral! There are too many situations to judge where one is coming from. My wife is having breast augmentation tomorrow! Yep, her pre-op was last Friday. She was a 34C then we had three kids and she breast fed all three and doesn't even fill an A cup anymore. I went to her cnsult and she was a very good candidate for going back to her full C, skin elasticity and room in her breast etc. She didn't want to do it primarily for me although she did finally admit that she wants me to be able to look down during missionary and enjoy "them" or be able to watch them move while she is on top. Her primary reason was clothing, dresses, bathing suits etc. The point is it is her deal. Now that she is decided and doing it I can be excited for her and me. She has given me thew ability to be excited and not feel shallow because she wants them for me too. It was her idea and I siad very little. I didn't want to be stereotypical and say "Whooo hooo bigger hoots, yee haw!" So I was reserved but also because I was worried about the whole surgery part of it and it HAD to be her deal. Anyway I say consider it, read up on it maybe even book a consult and then decide. Talk to other women you know that have had it done etc. There were so many things to consider that I wasn't aware of, and even some things my wife didn't really think were major considerations but were. Things like silicone or saline (silicone is now available again, since late Nov '06), shaped or round, textured or smooth, above the muscle or below it, throught the nipple (aereola), through the navel, through the bottom of the breast or through the arm pit. Lots to consider. You also can experiment with size by using rice and a produce bag from the store. Any other bags will be too thick. You also have to use a soft cup, full coverage, wireless bra. In fact my wife had to buy one for that purpose. It resembles one an older lady may where, very traditional and kinda pointy. But that is what has to be used to get a true feel. Also she still didn't put the bags in right and the doctor ahd to adjust some things when she went in for pre-op and then adjust the size of implants to be ordered. My wife is comfortable in large part because its a process and at any point in the process she could have hit the brakes. You just have to do what works for you. In case you were wondering my wife is getting 400cc implants, round, non textured, through the nipple (actually the aereola) and above the muscle. The size is what will be most natural for her considering her size that she was and what she is presently. Round because with shaped ones there is a chance they could shift and look un-natural. Non testured because it lessens tha chance of capsular contracture (where the capsule around the implant contracts and looks really bad and can even be uncomfortable). Saline for the same reason as well as the fact that silicaone just came back and is relatively unknown in its new application. Above the muscle because the dctor felt the recovery time was less and the pian was less as well and that it would be best for her. And, through the aereola because we looked at before and after photos and the scarring is almost un-noticable after recovery when they go through the aereola, there is a natural change in pigment and the skin is very elastic. Her doctor did a friend of hers and appearantly he is very professional and has been doing it since the late 70's or early 80's, So bottom line we, and more importantly she is comfortable. That is what is important. Its a process and you have to go through it and always be aware that you can stop and so thanks but no thanks at any time until the surgery day. I will add these editorial comments; if your doc wants to go through the navel ask to see pics of ones that didn't heal properly- there can be tracks left in the belly area where the tube was pushed through the abdominal tissue. As far as going through the arm pit ask about the necessity of it and the soreness post op and during recovery. Under the breast...ask to see pics post op and consider the scarring. Based on what I saw I wouldn't understand doing it any other way besides through the aereola. But...I am just a guy and no doctor. If you have any other questions write me back. I will even e-mail my wife and ask her if you like. I wish you luck in your decision and hope you have peace in whatever you decide.

- Response by An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Sacramento, Other Profession

I am a boob guy so I am biased. a good size for ya would be a large c to a d. I think getting new breasts would be great. I would if my wife would let me. lol

- Response by motofireeater, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, San Diego, Military

So long as this is about how you feel about yourself, I'd say go for it. If it is about meeting someone else's expectations, then I'd say take another look at this before you commit.

- Response by desertson52, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65, Sacramento, Consulting

Some of the most beautiful women in the world are SMALLER than you... Kate Hudson, Keira Knightly, Kate Moss, Keri Russel, Angie Harmon...all AAs!!! It is a waste of money when you are just as capable of being gorgeous without them. And...think about this, no sagging or EXTRA skin from your A's... :) My best friend is a 32AA and she wanted to get implants so badly! She had her heart SET on it... After seeing those celebrities and learning how to dress for her breasts. She will never get them 'done'!! The MAJOR health risks turned her off of it too. So much can happen. Implants can KILL.

- Response by brea233, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Who Cares?

If you are doing it for you.. if it is going to make you feel more secure about your body then I say do it.Good Luck

- Response by eagerbeaver, An Alternative Girl, Female, 26-28, Who Cares?

Personally, I am very much against breast augmentation. I guess it's because big boobs aren't important to me, so I'd rather have a woman who is 100% real. However, it's your body - choice. As long as you are doing it for yourself, and not to meet some standard of beauty you think exists, then there's no reason not to do it.

- Response by tomb12qb, A Jock, Male, 36-45, Norfolk, Military

It sounds to me as if you have your mind made up. So I will tell you what I think I think, breast augmentation is ugly it leaves scars both internal and external. They feel fake, anyway hasn’t anyone told you, anything more than a handful and a mouthful is wasted. Some of the best female lovers had small breasts maybe because they thought they were not sexy or because of low self esteem, I don’t know but when your forty your boobs will not be sagging..

- Response by dambreaker, A Father Figure, Male, 56-65, Retired

I forgot to tell you I was pleasantly surprised when the doctor told my wife that there is no 'set' time for when the implants need to be replaced! We were under the impression that it was pretty set at ten years, but that isn't so. He said some ladies have had them 20 or more years and if there is no problem (leakage etc) then there is no reason to replace them. Remember he does a lot of work with cancer patients who have had mastectomies, so I think he is qualified to judge. As far as the girl who said implants can kill... she is full of it! Especially when saline is used. Saline is just like water and the body will absorb it harmlessly if it leaks. In fact when people are dehydrated the IV's they use are saline like, when I got a vasectomy they irrigated the area during the procedure with saline, when I got stitches in my hand after I cut it they irrigated that wound with saline. That is why they are so popular. There are even warranties for certain types of breakage. Don't be scared out of considering it for yourself.

In general, I think that if you are truly convinced that minor surgery will make your life better then go ahead and do it. However, I would recommend that you have the money for the surgery "cash in hand". Going into debt for something like this will severely lessen the "feel good" effect.

- Response by ferrisfan, A Career Man, Male, 46-55, Managerial

Just be sure that you know what you're getting into. Know, for example, that implants do not last forever. You will probably have to get them replaced every 10 years or so. Having them replaced is a major surgery - you have to consider the financial costs, the physical pain, the recovery time that you'll need off work, someone to take care of your kids during that time, etc.

Also consider that it may be more difficult or more costly for you to get health insurance once you have implants. Insurance companies will NOT cover the costs of complications, so make sure you have enough cash on hand not only to cover the surgery itself, but potential problems that could arise from them.

Some men don't mind implants, some men hate them, some men love the look hate the feel. That's just a chance you take and you can't make the decision based on what you think men will want. Obviously, it has to be for you. There are women who have implants and are happier than ever, and there are women who have implants and who are more miserable than ever.

It's an extremely personal decision, and it's one you have to make for yourself. Just make sure you know all the risks and consequences before you go into it so that you can make an informed decision.

- Response by tahiti, A Career Woman, Female, 29-35, Atlanta, Student

Don't do it. I had implants for 20 years. They are look but don't touch. If a man touches your breasts you can't feel it because they are totally numb. To him, they feel hard as rocks. Pretty much, they hurt every day I had them. Eventually they rupture or calcify or twist and hurt even more and they have to be taken out. When you want to take them out, you won't be able to afford it, so you will wait until you are old, like I did, and surgery when you are old is harder. When you finally take them out, you are left with baggy scarred boobs, which isn't much worse than hard as a rock painful boobs, so you will do it anyway. If you get implants, you will eventually regret it.

- Response by A Cool Mom, Female, 66 or older

New jugs are not going to miraculously give you self esteem. Once you get your boobs it will be something else.

- Response by boggob, A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35, Political / Government