Back to Home

Active Questions

Dog ate tinfoil
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 3:15 PM - Saturday December 30, 2006

Dog ate tinfoil

UH, I have a little problem. I think my dog ate a large piece of aluminum foil. I gave him some food scraps & as he was eating I saw that there was tin foil mixed up in the food. Is he going to be OK? I gave him a big glob of butter to make him throw up & I'm waiting to see if he does....Advice needed please....Thanks.

- Asked by gab1, An Alternative Girl, Female, 36-45, Portland

Read more about the Rating System


Call your vet. he should be fine if it was a small amount of foil, but larger pieces could cause a blockage, which could require surgery or cause death.

- Response by mcbiker, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55

Rating Received:

Community Rating: Community Star

Tin foil is awful for their body, please call its vet inmediatly

- Response by sailormoon, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Other Profession

Rating Received:


I would go to a vet asap. Some things you cannot fix on your own.

- Response by rosekohn, A Married Girl, Female, 66 or older, Philadelphia, Retired

Rating Received:


What?!? OMG! The butter will make the aluminum rust and it will poison your dog. Are you serious?

- Response by schoolmeister, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Teaching

Rating Received:


don't worry. Dogs are resilient. My dogs have eaten a lot of things worse than that through the years. Yet they are still really hearty at 12 and 11 years old. Relax. It will be fine

- Response by mariot444, A Jock, Male, 46-55, Chicago, Political / Government

Rating Received:


I think he will be alright. A few years ago, my dad and I found some RAID poison ant killer thingys chewed up outside and my dog had eaten the POISON out of them...Naturally we were scared it would really hurt her, so we called poison control and to our surprise, they said that we did not need to do anything. Sure enough, she turned out to be fine :)

I think you will probably be okay with aluminum foil. If it was a piece of metal or something, it might tear up the dog's stomach (dealt with that one as well), but aluminum should not cause any harm. If you are really unsure though, I would just phone your local vet, and I am sure they can ease your worrying :)

- Response by uagirl, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Science / Engineering

Rating Received:


it will come out the other end but don't put him near the microwave

- Response by bobboy, A Jock, Male, 66 or older, Retired

Rating Received:


CALL YOUR VET!! Butter???? The poor thing may have a heart attack. CALL NOW.

- Response by shoegal101, A Trendsetter, Female, 36-45, Other Profession

Rating Received:


you can call poison control in your phone book emergency #s

- Response by teach123, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Teaching

Rating Received:


This too shall pass!

- Response by karen4521, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Chicago, Who Cares?

Rating Received: