Roommates With Benefits
Sex & Intimacy / 3:47 PM - Monday June 05, 2006

Roommates With Benefits

I'm living with one of my male friends for the summer. Before I moved in with him we would mutually tease one another and there were a couple of make-out sessions. Lately the sexual tension in the house has gone WAY up (on both sides) and yesterday he asked me if I would ever consider entering into a roommates with benefits arrangement. Has anyone ever tried to make this work before? I do the FWB thing but never with someone I was living with, so I need to know how (and if) I can make this work, because I really want it to.

- Asked by A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Student

Absolutely it can work so long as neither one of you has romantic feelings for one another. I had a roomate that was a FWB and it was amazing. We set out ground rules though. If he was seeing someone it was off, if I was seeing someone it was off, we both got tested, and swore to never have unprotected sex with anyone else. It worked out really well. We would have sex and sometimes he would sleep in bed with me and other times he would go to his own bed. It can definitely work and be wonderful but you both have to be on the same page.

- Response by stacey24, A Trendsetter, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

I think it is possible but very difficult. If the two of you can keep it just about sex and release tension then yes it could work but the hard part will be keeping the feeling out of the way. And what if you in the mood one night and he has another girl over. How will you react? I would discuss those kinds of situations first then go for it.

- Response by pokerguy, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Who Cares?

It would work fine as long as you both had mutual feelings for one another. Menaing, he likes you and you don't like him back or vice versa. That's where things get sticky.

- Response by mcbama, A Thinker, Female, 18-21, Atlanta, Student

i slept w/ my female roommate one night after a drunken night at the bars. it was just like a random one night stand except she never left the apt., and i went back into my room. actually looking back onto it, it was pretty cool. we were fine afterwords...just chalked it up as nothing more then a little lovin'.

- Response by jackstraw, A Life of the Party, Male, 36-45, Who Cares?

It depends, if you really like sex, sure, but you need to look at the big picture as well, do you want a relationship too and will that individual like knowing that you screw your room mate every night because he's horny? Anyway, once that fire of desire burns down... well what next?

- Response by meritorious, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 18-21, Who Cares?

Don't do it. Tell him you are willing to have a relationship, if he is interested in you romantically, but do not settle for being his convenient sex toy. When he brings home other dates, you will have to see them together (and probably overhear them having sex), and you will not like it one bit. If he's genuinely interested in you, he can take you out on some dates and earn your attentions.

- Response by A Sportif, Female, 29-35, Financial / Banking

It won't work for you two to live together without sex. So either it's a relationship or roommates with benefits.

Try it but what happens if the sex is awful?

- Response by tnix123, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 36-45, New York, Managerial