Ortho Tri-Cyclen vs Tri-Sprintec
Sex & Intimacy / 4:56 PM - Thursday April 27, 2006

Ortho Tri-Cyclen vs Tri-Sprintec

This one's mainly for the ladies. And, it's all about birthcontrol... A little icky, so don't go anyfurther if you are squeamish. Appologies in advance if it is a bit long-winded.

My OB/GYN prescribed me OrthoTri-Cyclen birthcontrol. Monthly, I would trek half an hour to pick it up at my clinic, as it was covered by my temporary state health plan. After several months, the receptionist suggested writing me a prescription for 12 months, so I don't have to keep returning to the clinic. This way, she said, I could just call my local Rx and pick it up there much more conveniently. I was happy. That evening, I went to my Rx to get my prescription. Stupid me didn't check the bag before I left and drove home. I get home, rip open my packet.... and it's TOTALLY the wrong med! I got in my car, drove BACK to the Rx, and told the Pharmacist he gave me the wrong prescription. He clarified that it was the "cheaper" version of Ortho-TriCyclen and assured me it was the 'same'.

(The reason I got the SHITTY version was because the doctor did not write "D.A.W." on my prescription. I was totally pissed and had no choice but to bring this SHIT home with me. I called my clinic the next day, expressing my dissatisfaction. I asked what I could do and expressed that I was extremely upset that I was not notified that my medicine was changed. I asked what could be done to rectify this. She THEN filled me in on the "new law" in NYS for Medicare/aid. It states that the Rx must give out the "knock off" if the ps does not specify "Dispense as Written", because the state will no-longer pay for the name-brand drugs).

I TOTALLY HATED the idea of switching meds, since it took me so long to get used to it in the first place. Although I was told the cheap pill should be the SAME, I still didn't trust that it would be. After all... it's a different pill with a diffrent name. I asked the clinician what my options were and she suggested I try this new garbage. Otherwise I would have to pay out of pocket for the other pill. So I said, "Well, since I was coming here monthly ANYWAY picking up the Ortho-TC, could I just come to the clinic to get what I WANT?" The answer was NO. WHAT????

So, I decided to suck it up and just try this pill... I read the ingredients... they APPEARED the same. For the last three months I have been taking this pill... and IT SUCKS! (WARNING: BOYS, THIS IS WHERE IT GETS ICKY) My period is completely outta Whack now... I went from totally normal periods on Ortho-TC (3-4 days, med/heav. Bleeding, last day light. Done) to periods that come a week early, last 10-14 Days, are black/brown/gross for most of it. And THEN, just when I think it is over, BAM... I am bleeding again, THIS time med/light and NORMAL PINK/RED color.

WHAT GIVES? I haven't a clue what to do to get my old pill back. This new pill is DEFINITELY not working out for me. Please, any suggestions would really be appreciated....

Thanks so much for listening!

- Asked by clarachk, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, New York, Science / Engineering

im sorry im in the uk and havent heard of the brands of birth control you talk about but on a sympathetic note i have just started using a birth control pill for the first time. im having exactly the same issues that you mention. it just makes me feel gross and shit most of the time. i have been informed that its my body adjusting to the change in hormone levels and will sort itself out. what am i to do till then? im a real person! Hope you get this sorted tho.

- Response by red69, A Life of the Party, Female, 26-28, Student

I had the same period issues you did for years.. then I went on the nuvaring and i swear I will never use anything else. it made my cycle regular.. no side effects and more effective then the pill.. talk to your gyno about it.. I know what a pain this is.. but nuvaring might be perfect for you.. three weeks in, one out.. its very simple to use (the site is nuvaring d o t c o m..

go back to your doctor - NOW!! call right now and get an appointment...NOW!!! make a list of all the problems you are having

and stop taking this perscription!!

please...use another method for birth control until you get to that appointment and get another perscription...

- Response by azgoddess, A Hippie Chick, Female, 46-55, Artist / Musician / Writer

stop taking this birthcontrol pill!! and stop now!! this is NOT good!! Call up your doctor and go in and see her, and tell her exactly what happend and what is happening to you now.... Make her change the RX for you.. This should not be happening (and the pharmacy is suppose to let you know if there is changes in your medication before hand)

- Response by lilfivel3, A Life of the Party, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

Go back to your doctor and tell her what's been happening. EVEN IF this is a cheaper "version" of the same BCP, each company uses different fillers for their medications and this could be what's causing you the problem...OR your body may just plain old not like this pill and you'll have to try something different. I refuse to take the pill because of all the weird side effects I have experienced. Good luck to ya anyway!

- Response by a12477, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Seattle, Administrative

I was on the same pill and had the same type of period and on top of that I turned into a total monster and they put me on Zoloft with it. I will say however that all that did go away (with the exception of the moodiness). I have since switched to Yasmine and I've reacted a lot better to it and I'm not so moody any more.

- Response by amberlily3, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Tampa, Who Cares?

Go back to the clinic and ask them to write the Dispense As Written on it!

Then go to a new pharmacy and get your prescription Orth Tri Cyclen. I'm on OTCylen. It's great and when I looked at the Trinessa generic label it had a bit more estradiol in it than the OTCyclen. So I think affects moods and cycles more. Also I read that the generic versions of OTCyclen are horrible.

I don't remember the website but there IS a website out there with comprehensive and many patient reviews of prescription medications, including birth control reviews. The women all said the same thing you did, that they hated the generic version. There is a difference in the chemical formulas of the generic version I got and the brand name bcp. I think you should talk to your clinic and tell them what's going on. If they can't fix the pill thing, consider getting on another form of birth control pill (they have the ring,etc).

- Response by A Cool Mom, Female, Who Cares?, Denver

I have the same problem. i originally had my Rx for Ortho but my isurance charged me $55. i said i am not paying that every month so i asked for the generic version. prior to getting on birth control i had irregular periods due to polysistic ovarian syndrom. i had my period sometimes for 12 days but it was light barely any cramping it was just long as hell! so i tried birth control. when using this crap version for the first month, my period was so heavy and i was so cramped up that I had to call out of work for one day. no type of pain meds worked. i was taking six advil and i was still in severe pain. FF to the 3rd month, the cramping wasnt as severe but my period was super heavy for all 4 days. i used the always overnight pads in the purple package in the daytime i went through 4-5 pads during the daytime. when previously on no pill i only used them at night and there was barely anything. my periods were super duper heavy i couldnt believe it.

the mood swings were crazy. i had a slight case of pms before but it wasnt anything big. being on these pills has turned me into a monster! it has given me PMDD for sure. i cry all the time then get extremely angry. my relationship has suffered because of my emotional outburst and mood swings. reacting to everything in a severe off balance way. its too much. when i go back to the doctor i am going to talk to him about this and get his opinion on generic vs. designer BC. i used ortho a long time ago and i never remember feeling like this or my periods being like this. i might just have to pay the $55 and call it even because these pills are terrible

- Response by A Hip Hop Girl, Female, 29-35

sorry ladies - only way I could get part 3 to you...

I pick up a brush and look at it. I imagine what it would be like to brush your beautiful hair…and again I imagine it spread out across my stomach…I’m about to reach down between my legs again, when the door opens.

I turn and there you stand…completely naked – your gorgeous body feet away from me….your round perfect breasts within reach…your gorgeous hair flipped to one side. Your unbelievable mouth….your lips, so kissable…your eyes…

You flip your hair over your shoulders and walk by me to turn on the water…your shoulder touches mine as you brush by and again my knees buckle…I can barely stand. Your skin feels so smooth against mine. I imagine our bodies rubbing together…I have to change my stream of thought….

As the water gets hot, you look back at me over the shoulder. “you ready? I’m holding you to your word now…you said something about ‘fun’, remember?” Again you smile and I again envy your confidence.

You step into the shower first and look out…”come on…get behind me…you can’t very well do what needs to be done out there”.

And with that I step over the tub and behind you…dripping wet even though the water hasn’t even touched me yet!

I can’t believe I’m doing this. I’m standing behind you….looking down at your bare naked beautiful ass…and you’re tilting your hair back for me to wash!!! Needless to say, I'm pitching a huge tent!

I grab your shoulders and tenderly turn you around to face me…you’re just slightly shorter…my eyes come to just about your hair line…you look at me and for the first time I see a little bit of vulnerability…it strangely makes me feel a little more at ease. So I’m not alone in that department!

You look up at my eyes and I’m slowly examining your face…the curves of your cheeks, your full lips, the freckles on your nose…you are so sexy and I so badly want to taste your mouth….but I need to get down to business…

I gently lean you back into the falling water of the shower…as you lean backwards, your eyes close and your legs bend and our knees touch…I hold you and our stomachs are almost touching…I gently rub my hand through your hair, allowing the water to fully saturate it…it looks so delicious when it’s wet….and the water drips off your face and down your neck…I do everything I can to not suck on it, lick the water…slide my tongue around on it….

When your hair is wet, I turn you back around and you lean your head back towards me…I reach down and grab the bottle of shampoo…I notice as I pour a huge glob…much more than you’re supposed to use….into my hand, that my hand is shaking. I’m glad you can’t see that.

I pull your hair out and place as much as I can on the top of your head, then take the hand full of shampoo and smear it all over your hair on top….this is one of my favorite fantasies…I think about it almost every time I wash my OWN hair…wonder what it would be like to do this to a woman….it is every bit as sensual as I imagine…actually more. Much more.

The lather is starting to build now…I reach in deep with my fingertips – I love how thick your hair feels…how my hands feel sliding around inside your hair…My fingers touch down on your scalp and I start to deep massage it. You moan…the sound of your voice in a moan is almost enough for me to stop to take care of myself. I’m tingling all over…my legs are weak, my dick is rock hard…but I keep going – I want to make sure I do a good job….hopefully there’ll be time for my own pleasure later…

I lather you up really well, and I notice as large chunks of lather drop from your head to your shoulders…I watch them slide down your shoulders, down your back….to your ass crack. I watch them gather then slide right down the crack…it drives me crazy. I glance over your shoulder and notice more lather dripping down your front. Sliding slowly down your gorgeous breasts….a bit drop of lather right now is on your nipple…I want to rub it in..feel you squirm in my arms….slide it down between your legs…but I wait….for now.

- Response by johnnyottawa2002, A Player, Male, 36-45, Providence, Other Profession