Pentecostal vs. baptist
Race, Religion & Politics / 11:38 AM - Monday October 17, 2005

pentecostal vs. baptist

I would just like to know the major differences in the baptist and pentecostal church. I go to a
baptist church even though I am not really fond of the idea of different religious titles. I think that a christian is a christian. I just love the people at my church incase you're wondering why I go to a "titled" church when I don't like that idea. It's just that I have had my eye on this guy and he seems to have his eye on
me too. He goes to and has grown up in a pentecostal church. Even though title doesn't matter to me I know that later on different beliefs can lead to problems in a relationship. All I know about his religion is superficial details like that the women wear skirts and no makeup. I just don't understand it all and would like to know more before getting involved with him. All advice is appreciated!!

- Asked by A Career Woman, Female, 22-25, New Orleans, Financial / Banking

Not a big fan of reliegon dictating any proscribed behavuor. Stick to the do on to others message and everything else is your own damn bussiness. Anything else makes you a nut job in my book.

- Response by fallingfromgrace, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Science / Engineering

In my experience being of a different religion isn't that big of a deal. But, I have a few friends that have had big problems with it in the relationships before. I think it really depends on what kind of person he is beyond the "religious title". My husband calls himself a "protestant" and I'm a Wiccan. We don't have any problems at all. But that's mainly because he has respect for me and for other religions. He would never do/say anything derogatory about another persons beliefs. But, my friends have been in relationships with guys that have made a huge deal out of the religion issue. They've been treated badly and made fun of because they were a different religion than the guy they were dating. Needless to say this pretty much ends a relationship. Unfortunately there are people out there that don't show their true colors until after you've began a relationship with them. My advice would be to just be friends with him until you are sure he's not the kind of person that's going to make it an issue when it shouldn't be one.

- Response by magickalgirl, An Alternative Girl, Female, 26-28, Charlotte, Who Cares?

I grew up baptist and my mom is pentecostal. The only difference is some of the rules, like baptist women have3 to wear long skirts and cant listen to worldly music, where pentacostals often have speaking in tonges (baptist think that is "of the devil", I go to a non-denominational church now, if you care for each other, dont worry about it, one of the happiest couples I know, one is Jewish and the other is Catholic

- Response by jodith95, A Creative, Female, 22-25, Charlotte, Administrative

Heelo. I grew up Pentecostal and when I attend Church, I attend Pentecostal. There is NO rule that women have to wear dreeses/skirts and no make-up. I thought that was a Baptist rule.

Anyway, I beleive that whatever faith you follow you should do so b/c you get a spiritual charge from it. No matter what faith it is, as long as that faith is making you feel like a better person and you are following the faith to the best of your ability, it doesn't matter what title it is. My husband is Jewish and I am pentecostal but we are respectful of each other's beleifs. We incorporate them together whenever we can. Like holidays, our marriage ceremony, things like that. I beleive you can be from 2 different "yolks" and still be unified! Good Luck!

- Response by francesca3, A Married Girl, Female, 29-35, Cleveland, Artist / Musician / Writer

girl if its this big of a deal (arent you the one that posted something similiar this wkend, isnt he a paranormal investigator), then stop the relationship from progressing to an intimate one and just be friends ~ see how that goes...learn a lil more bout him and him you, before you draw coonclusion solely based on his beliefs and yours.

- Response by sherocks, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Dallas, Internet / New Media

I grew up in a Baptist church all of my live and have some best friends that are "pentecostal" there are other branches of pentecostal churchs such as Assembly of God and Church of God... I don't really care to use the titles but just tell people what I believe... I've gone to both types of churches and the differences that I see in them are.. that in Assemblies of God churchs or pentecostal they believe in speaking in touges, which the Baptists believe are not used anymore, they also believe in healing people through laying hand on them and the Spirt will heal them, most Baptists believe that true God can heal people but does not think that people have the power to do that anymore. My Batist church does at sometimes lay hands on a sick person if the people request prayer from the church as a symbol that we are there for the person. As for the whole skirt wearing thing... it really depends on the church... some baptist do that and some pentecoastals do that... I know both who do :-) it's just by your own convictions really. I find that Assembly of God church are also more lively and "express their emotions more" Just find out what he believes and if it is the same thing title should not matter... I'm going through that same situation right now. I hope this helped

first of all you are going for the wrong reason.dont ever allow anybody to influence you beleif.i,m sorry that speaking with tounges is still the deviding factor in the church;paul wrote that its the very least of the gifts.however the gifts of the spirit are still as valid today as they were on pentecost.god is a god of fire he is the same today yesterday and forever.jesus said the gifts are given according to you own faith.so ask yourself how much jesus do you want?if being a pew warmer and living with habitual sin is ok then stay at the baptist church.but if you want a true relationship with god and jesus christ.and want to become a soldier of the cross and you are will to plunge into faith please find a pentecostal holliness ora church of god and get involved.the family here will help you grow
in christ love
pastor mark

- Response by pastormark09, A Creative, Male, 36-45, Atlanta, Other Profession

Lol, no I haven't posted anything recently about dating a paranormal investigator. The reason that I thought it was a rule for them to wear skirts and no makeup is because all of the pentecostal people that I have met never wear any makeup and always have long skirts on.

- Response by A Career Woman, Female, 22-25, New Orleans, Financial / Banking